• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to break lease with a slumlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thehesbomb

Wellllllllllllllllllll....my latest question seemed pretty straightforward:

Guess I am not sure if I should send the letter to the Health Dept. concurrently with the letter to the landlord...any ideas?
Although I got lots of other admonitions about things I SHOULD HAVE done that was what I was really asking.

ENASNI

thehesbomb said:
P.S. Thanks Enansi...that link was very helpful!!!!!
You are welcome... but.. again I cannot 100% vouch for it. It gave false info on California...so. :confused:

Sir Blonde is cool, don't fret. He really cares so he gets frustrated sometimes.
Do you see why we really want you to have a paper trail though? It is important. Please keep us updated on what the Housing authority says. I hope you get speedy service. If you can, follow (revised) letter up with a phone call. If you wish to send it to your landlord it will be the first in your "trail".

He can not retaliate against you and usually has 14 days to make some repairs. ( that was in my first link by the by)

Good Luck

thehesbomb

Thanks...I know I am really testy lately because this has just been SUCH a nightmare and we have 3 kids that we need to provide a safe place for. I do appreciate the help and I am kicking myself for not documenting things with RRR's all along.

ENASNI

thehesbomb said:
Thanks...I know I am really testy lately because this has just been SUCH a nightmare and we have 3 kids that we need to provide a safe place for. I do appreciate the help and I am kicking myself for not documenting things with RRR's all along.

Well now you know.. so go from here.

Better kicking yourself than holes in the wall... or the kids! :eek:

Again good luck.

BL

ENASNI said:
Well now you know.. so go from here.

Better kicking yourself than holes in the wall... or the kids! :eek:

Again good luck.

Gee , and I though the Mother's stomped on the floor , traipsed, and bickered . At least our neighbor does .

Kinda funny . I got a little tipsy the other night , smelled gas from the neighbors Apt. on the way out . Knocked on their door , no answer . HELLO 911 from another address . I come home more hammered , knocked on the neighbors door ( to find out the deal ) and got hammered back . Was told by the slumlord to mind my own business LOL. He don't know me vewy well . It ended up after being treated like dirt from my prior LL and the City , that LL had to sell , because he couldn't afford code violation repairs .

In the end it comes out .

thehesbomb

No kid-kicking or temper tantrums here. Just self-kicking for choosing such an awful place for us to live. Ironically, the apartment LOOKS really nice, lots of nice wood mouldings. Unfortunately I did not notice the wood molding before we moved in - nice play on words, eh?

Kazzie

I believe I live in the same city your talking about. Mail your letter to the building dept. Meanwhile, I'd just give the health dept a call (624-6466) & explain the situation & they'll probably send someone up the same day or the next. Another thing to do is take pictures of everything so you have proof of what's up. Sanitary conditions will be dealt with thru the health dept. Electrical & structural damage thru the building dept.

Before you move out though, your landlord has the right to remedy the situation. If it is "unhabituable" then your landlord most likely would be responsible for expenses you incur to stay somewhere else till the apt. meets code.

Good Luck!

thehesbomb

We gave up, and said to heck with even trying to get the deposit back. We gave notice today, and will send written notice that we will be vacating as of February 28th. He didn't even put up a fight...probably knows he wouldn't get far in court.

ENASNI

thehesbomb said:
We gave up, and said to heck with even trying to get the deposit back. We gave notice today, and will send written notice that we will be vacating as of February 28th. He didn't even put up a fight...probably knows he wouldn't get far in court.

Well don't give up on your deposit so fast. Make sure you give them your forwarding address in writing, clean well. Take pictures and make sure they send you what they have to in the correct amount of time.

I hope your next place is better.

Good luck moving with kids and all... fun fun fun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">