• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washing Machine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badgirlree

I live in NJ. I have been a tenant in the same apt for 24 years. Always from day one had washing machine. No one ever told me i couldnt. No lease, same landlord for last 15 years. All of a sudden he sends me and another tenant letter stating we cant have washing machines anymore. Never in 15 years has this been an issue. Can he make us get rid of washing machines?
Letter also said he will be by in 10 days to see if we got rid of them. Is that his 24 hour notice? Do I have to let him in? I have to call back someone in City Hall on Monday, but I want to know.
thanks
ree

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Can he make us get rid of washing machines?

A: Yes.

Q: Letter also said he will be by in 10 days to see if we got rid of them. Is that his 24 hour notice?

A: No, that is his 240 hour notice.

Q: Do I have to let him in?

A: Yes.

LindaP777

I'm a little unclear . . . is the washing machine yours and is it in your apartment (not a common area)? if so, you have washer & dryer hookups, right? It's not something you rigged to make it work.
You do not have a lease? You've been there 24 years??? WOW!
Has the landlord indicated why the sudden change of heart?
Perhaps he feels the water bill is getting too high, or do you pay for your own water?

Last edited:

south

24 years in the same Apt! do you still use a wash board rock & soap?

And yes it was 24 hrs notice but he was nice enough to times it by 10....

Note: Some people are so intent on keeping their cheap rent apartment that one day they wake up and realize they forgot to move on in life..

badgirlree said:
I live in NJ. I have been a tenant in the same apt for 24 years. Always from day one had washing machine. No one ever told me i couldnt. No lease, same landlord for last 15 years. All of a sudden he sends me and another tenant letter stating we cant have washing machines anymore. Never in 15 years has this been an issue. Can he make us get rid of washing machines?
Letter also said he will be by in 10 days to see if we got rid of them. Is that his 24 hour notice? Do I have to let him in? I have to call back someone in City Hall on Monday, but I want to know.
thanks
ree

Last edited:

badgirlree

Yes the washer is mine, i hook it up to my sink and it drains in the large, deep side of my double sink, very old sink, very deep. Never, ever had any water damage or trouble. IN fact i even have one of those plastic trays for leaky washers underneath just in case it ever happened.
I have a clothes line outside my window on a bracket that was there when i moved in 24 years ago. He's never complained about his water before, and only 2 out of 6 tenants have washers.

JETX

badgirlree said:
Yes the washer is mine, i hook it up to my sink and it drains in the large, deep side of my double sink, very old sink, very deep.
Since the property was NOT provided with washer connections, your 'adaption' is not protected.
The landlord may be concerned due to excessive water or sanitary use. You might try to negotiate with him/her to see if you can pay a little extra to offset. If the landlord doesn't agree.... looks like it will have to go.... or you will likely.

FarmerJ

Besides the utility cost of the water and sewer the machine uses you know not only offering addtional money every month to cover the extra utility use BUT getting a renters insurance policy in combination with a rent increase might be the the way to entice your LL to agree to allow it. See even though you have lived there a long time ( check with ins agent) if you carry renters ins as long as your policy will cover damage you cause such as a machine that leaks your LL might be more willing to live with it. Talk to your ins agent and talk to your LL.

ENASNI

seniorjudge said:
Q: Letter also said he will be by in 10 days to see if we got rid of them. Is that his 24 hour notice?

A: No, that is his 240 hour notice.
Hey! That was my answer.. Thief! :)

badgirlree

Wouldnt this apply to me:

Grandfather Clause:* The clause in a law permitting the continuation of a use, business, etc., which, when established, was permissible but, because of a change in the law, is now not permissible.

Motherto6

I was just thinking about all of that lint and stuff going down the drain. Perhaps he had a clogged sewer line or something and was told it was due to the machines. I would just ask the guy. If you have been living in the same place for 24 years and renting for 15 of those years from the same person, you have to have some type of repor with him. He may have very legitimate concerns. ORRRRRR he may be putting in a pay washing machine and wants your business ~~ :) (That was a joke)

south

Its not a change in the law its a change in what the building owner wants and does not want.... :rolleyes:

badgirlree said:
Wouldnt this apply to me:

Grandfather Clause:* The clause in a law permitting the continuation of a use, business, etc., which, when established, was permissible but, because of a change in the law, is now not permissible.

badgirlree

I've always kept the leg of a pair of pantyhose at end of drainage hose to catch the lint. When it gets full, I change it, and he'd never put machines in for us.
He's mad because the Board of Health made him clean up pigeon poo in shaftway. He's not repaired neighbors missing ceiling, from water damage when upstairs left their sink overflowing and went out, he's even gone as far as calling the health dept on me for my cats, my apt was inspected and there was no problem, so that pissed him off, he thinks I called health dept on him, which i didnt. Then he was speaking to my other neighbor, and referred to me as the "fat lady in apt 3". That was totally uncalled for, this jerk knows my name for 15 years. I feel like i am getting harrased now. I cant just pack up and move, I am disabled living on SSI.
thank you everyone for all your help

Last edited:

LindaP777

badgirlree said:
. . . and referred to me as the "fat lady in apt 3". That was totally uncalled for, this jerk knows my name for 15 years.
OH NO!!! Here comes a whole 'nother thread on calling people names, what is or isn't politically correct, etc. We're still not sure if we can call a spade a spade (ok, I meant nothing derogatory about the word "spade", so don't anyone get upset on me - it's just a phrase . . .)

south

LindaP777 I would prefer it if you did not use the word 'PHRASE' its derogatory and offensive the politically correct word for 'Phrase' is 'Sequential words'

LindaP777 said:
OH NO!!! Here comes a whole 'nother thread on calling people names, what is or isn't politically correct, etc. We're still not sure if we can call a spade a spade (ok, I meant nothing derogatory about the word "spade", so don't anyone get upset on me - it's just a phrase . . .)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">