• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washing Machine Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desirebre

What is the name of your state? New York

I am 5 months pregnant with triplets and my doctor placed me on bedrest. I would like to purchase a washing machine because I am not able to carry the heavy bags and I don't want to deal with the hassle of going to a laundromat.

I explained the circumstances to my landlord and I said the lease doesn't say anything about a washing machine so I wanted to double-check that it would be okay with you. He told me sorry I can't allow it.

Now I live in a 3 family apt. building and the tenant upstairs has a washing machine and I just had neighbors move in last week who also have a washing machine. I assume that they didn't ask the landlord and just decided to get one.

Should I bring this to the landlord's attention or should I just go ahead and get one since everyone else in the building has one? My lease expired on 12/31/07 so I guess I am a month-to-month tenant now; can I get evicted for having one even though the lease doesn't state anything about it?

Thanks for any replies...it is greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

MIRAKALES

Tenants can only be evicted for lease violations.
Installing a washer/dryer without LL’s permission is a lease violation. Therefore, tenant can be evicted. But, tenant already knows that!

Tenant now wants to create conflicts with other neighboring tenants due to the belief that these tenants are in violation of their lease agreement (which does not concern tenant). Tenant has no evidence of other tenant’s presumed violations because tenant has not reviewed their leases. (Other tenants may pay additional for the use of washer/dryer.) In addition, other tenant’s units may be equipped to handle a washer/dryer. Whereas, tenant’s unit may not be equipped with the appropriate cement basin and water shut-off valves to accommodate a washer/dryer. (Regardless, it is irrelevant.)
Now that tenant is home and prescribed to “bed rest” per doctor’s orders, use the extra time to manage your health wisely. Set aside time to do laundry twice per week if the loads are too large. Request assistance from others to carry loads to a from the premises. The washer/dryer are truly non-issues.

Does tenant really want to bear the stress and risks of eviction during a temporary disability?

reenzz

You've already answered your own question. You asked..landlord said no. You can try to sneak one in, but you will probably be evicted if caught. BTW...many local laundromats offer pickup/delivery service.

Alaska landlord

I hope that if you have triplets coming you also have a man in your life. If that is the situation, then have him help you with the laundry.

desirebre

Thanks

Both replies make a lot of sense and made me realize things that I hadn't thought about. This is only temporary and it never occurred to me use laundry services.

Thanks again!

desirebre

Response to Alaska Landlord

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am married and he can help with the laundry.

I think I was more upset about everyone else in the building having one except for me. I felt like a fool for asking the LL instead of just buying one. But the other comments helped me get over the anger.

Take care.

Spinner

You are allowed as you are pregnant, most men like those featured above do not understand hormones. Good luck with triplets you will need all your strength.

fairisfair

Tenants can only be evicted for lease violations.
Installing a washer/dryer without LL’s permission is a lease violation. Therefore, tenant can be evicted. But, tenant already knows that!

Tenant now wants to create conflicts with other neighboring tenants due to the belief that these tenants are in violation of their lease agreement (which does not concern tenant). Tenant has no evidence of other tenant’s presumed violations because tenant has not reviewed their leases. (Other tenants may pay additional for the use of washer/dryer.) In addition, other tenant’s units may be equipped to handle a washer/dryer. Whereas, tenant’s unit may not be equipped with the appropriate cement basin and water shut-off valves to accommodate a washer/dryer. (Regardless, it is irrelevant.)
Now that tenant is home and prescribed to “bed rest” per doctor’s orders, use the extra time to manage your health wisely. Set aside time to do laundry twice per week if the loads are too large. Request assistance from others to carry loads to a from the premises. The washer/dryer are truly non-issues.

Does tenant really want to bear the stress and risks of eviction during a temporary disability?
GEeez. . . you can READ her lease from there??? you are Miraculous not Mirakales.

How many fingers am I holding up??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fairisfair

You are allowed as you are pregnant, most men like those featured above do not understand hormones. Good luck with triplets you will need all your strength.
don't be stupid, being pregnant or not pregnant has nothing to do with her legal rights as a tenant.

Alaska landlord

Landlord already said no, so barring any NY state regulations that cite pregnant women must be allowed to have washing machines OP has no alternative.

But, I am willing to retract or amend my post if you can post NY state regulations regarding pregnant women. ;)

Alaska landlord

I have never been on bed rest or carried three babies at once. But if OP wants to let husband do all the laundry that would be fine with me. But, I bet she will complain about the way he does it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">