• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washing Machine Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeekingJustice3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

Hello,

I am a landlord who owns a 6 family building. I have a tenant who illegally has a washing machine in her apartment. She signed a lease which states that washing machines are not allowed. I have sent her letters through certified mail informing her she must remove the washing machine but she has refused to pick them up. Her lease is up for renewal at the end of this month. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue promptly?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

BL

I believe if you own a 6 unit Apt. building , you should know the business of Land lording .

At any rate , the subject has been discussed here before .

Give a 3 days notice to quit or move .

When the Certified letters are returned to you , do not open them , but keep them for court if need be .

If you are rightfully able , do not renew the lease .

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

Hello,

I am a landlord who owns a 6 family building. I have a tenant who illegally has a washing machine in her apartment. She signed a lease which states that washing machines are not allowed. I have sent her letters through certified mail informing her she must remove the washing machine but she has refused to pick them up. Her lease is up for renewal at the end of this month. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this issue promptly?

Thank you for your advice in advance!
Do not renew her lease.

If the tenant has not removed the washing machine by now, she won't do it anytime soon. Inform tenant her lease will NOT be renewed and she will be evicted unless the washing machine is removed.

In the new lease, add a clause stating there will be a $10/day charge for un-approved appliances.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just a word of warning on the OP -- she is a deleter who will get rid of threads if she doens't like what you have to say or don't tell her what you want to hear. Also, don't ask her questions or she will not answer them and will delete her threads. She has done it in the family law section. She also got extremely rude and arrogant with members there.

Alaska landlord

A notice delivered personally or posted indicating that her tenancy has been terminated should do the trick.Take pictures with a newspaper placed in the background and bring a witness.

SeekingJustice3

ohiogal

seriously i do not know what your issue is. people are only on this site seeking advice not to be picked on by people like you. get a life.

FarmerJ

Tenant has had ample chance to get rid of the appliance. DO not renew and make sure you send proper notice via confirmed mail delivery & certified mail informing tenant of the date they must be out! plan on tenant trying to overstay the notice and taking the tenant to court for ignoring the notice. ANY excuse the tenant offers to a court as to why they could not pick up certified mail will likely fall on deaf ears in court.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ohiogal

seriously i do not know what your issue is. people are only on this site seeking advice not to be picked on by people like you. get a life.
My issue is people like you who come on to this site, refuse to answer the questions asked, insult those who attempt to give you information and then delete your thread because you were told things you didn't want to hear thus wasting the time of people who could put it to better use helping mature adults who have a clue and not selfish spoiled brats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">