• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ykbell

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I moved into a duplex that is rented from a property management company. I have been staying in the home for over a year. I was told when I moved in that I was responsible for utilities. Thw water was on when I moved in and my neighbor stated we did not pay water. I did not receive a bill or notice, so I took this information to be true. However, it is about 15 months later and I received a notice that the water must be put it my name to avoid disconnection. Now, I received a bill for over $300.00 for the entire time I have been there. Am I responsible for the entire bill or does the owner of the home hold any responsibility? Should I have not been notified long before now or should they have not stopped service?

FarmerJ

what you need to do is search your states landlord and tenant links to learn who must pay the bills for single metered utilitys. In some states they have spelled it clearly out and require the buildings owner to pay the charges when its a single meter utility. Other states will allow utility bill splits. If you cannot find a answer in your state govt web page links for landlord and tenants then try your states utility regulatory agency to see if they can tell you of a statute that addresses it . ONCE you know that info then you can proceed and keep all comunications with your LL regarding this matter in written form and sent via at least a certificate of mailing.

analytical1

You obvoiusly had a question re: the water bill long ago since you were discussing the issue with your neighbor at one time or another. What made you think you NEW neighbor would have the correct answer?

Why were you asking your neighbor instead of the landlord?

Anyway, just wondering! Feel lucky....my waterbill is sometimes $300.00 +, if not more, per month. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">