• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taterwinkie

What is the name of your state? Virginia Is it legal for the owner of a mobile home park to double the water bill ? I own my home, but rent the lot space. The water bill is paid , not to the water company, but to the park owner. He doubles whatever is on the bill as payment. That doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Chandiekakers

most likely not

I manage a community in Colorado, so the laws may differ. Here in Colorado it is illegal to charge back a tenant more than the actual amount of utilities billed. Please read your mobile parks agreement for the space you are leasing it could state differently, even if it does state they can charge more than billed contact free legal or your local better business bureau, or similar free legal advice for your local laws regarding the charging back of utilities. Just because a lease states something doesn't always make it legal. You can ask to see the actual utility bill also. It is reasonable for landlords to charge an administrative fee for the cost and time the billing takes. This fee could also be regulated by your states real estate commision or similar governing body.
Is this billed as a group for the entire community and then divided amoung everybody equally? Make sure its being charged back fairly and based on the amount of people occupying the dwelling. Just contact your local real estate commission they can direct you to other sources where you can obtain the info. So in answer to your question, most likely they can not double your bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">