• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage from another apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TBH

What is the name of your state? Washington

I recently moved into an apartment and have not purchased renters' insurance. Last week my landlord installed a new water heater in the apartment above mine. Today I came home and my ceiling had partially caved-in and water was pouring in from above. The water damage has ruined a ton of my belongings, including a lot of electronics. The landlord says that his insurance won't cover it. Question: What are my options; how should I proceed; should the landlord be liable?

ENASNI

as scooby-do would say

What woo soggy... (paraphrased)

What does lease/Rental agreement say about damages.

Whoa that soaks... I mean sucks.

I don't mean to make light of this, but there does seem to be someone who should be Liable.

hmmm.... better minds than mine... (no comments from the peanut gallery)

HomeGuru

TBH said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I recently moved into an apartment and have not purchased renters' insurance. Last week my landlord installed a new water heater in the apartment above mine. Today I came home and my ceiling had partially caved-in and water was pouring in from above. The water damage has ruined a ton of my belongings, including a lot of electronics. The landlord says that his insurance won't cover it. Question: What are my options; how should I proceed; should the landlord be liable?
**A: send L the bill. If he don't pay take him to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">