• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Shut Off Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PghREA

I'm in the Pittsburgh and that does sound like a correct amount for a water/sewage bill for 3 units. Water rates vary throughout the nation so the amount of the water bill is not the issue. The posibility of not having water in the unit is a housing code violation.

Check this out: If you read through the handbook you will find a number to call.

http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Penn/harris/pa-part3.html

AdamWe

Thanks for the advice PghREA. I was always calculating the water bill by Pittsburgh rates, not by the magical fantasy land rates. And by my calculations, which have been controversial in the past, each of us uses about 50 gallons of water per day. Is that unreasonable?

moburkes

It sounds like a lot me to, but I've never counted how much water I use in a day. However, rates do vary across the country. For instance, in a city near me, and 3 family dwelling could see a $800/month water bill. I never understood why a former customer would continue to buy homes, when his water bill was almost as much as the rent he collected each month.

PghREA

Thanks for the advice PghREA. I was always calculating the water bill by Pittsburgh rates, not by the magical fantasy land rates. And by my calculations, which have been controversial in the past, each of us uses about 50 gallons of water per day. Is that unreasonable?
There is a basic rate for a certain # of gallons that everyone is charged whether they use it or not. Then any overage in the amount of water used, of course, is added to the bill.

In a household of 2 - I use less than what I'm billed for except in the summer months.

Alaska landlord

I have also heard of $800 water bills, but they are usually associated with a section 8 tenant running a Laundromat service out of her apartment. Different parts of PA for example in the Allegheny area bill the sewage and water bills separately.

FarmerJ

Adam Contact your city /county govt center to learn if property becomes condemned once the water is off. If that is the local govts policy then your city will issue a condemn order and that should be suffcient to cancel any lease in place since you would have to move, If condemnation occurs make sure you get a copy of the order from your city. it will help you if your former LL attempts to take you to court claiming you owed rent because of moving with no notice or something like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">