• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Shut Off Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdamWe

What is the name of your state? PA

This weekend my house recieved a 30 day shut off notice for a 10 month unpaid water bill, approximately $1,400. In the lease it states that the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill. I was wondering what are my legal options if my landlord was stupid enough to allow the water be turned off. Do I have to wait until the water is shut off before I can perform any actions?

Cvillecpm

Ditto and why is the first/only notice that you as the property residents have received?

You need to call the water company - $1,400 is WAY TOO HIGH

AdamWe

The house has 3 apartments all with 3 tenants each. At your calculation at $20 per person our monthly water bill should be $180. Not all tenants are drooling out the side of their mouths retarded, could you atleast assume as much?

And this is the first notice I have seen, there might have been more. The landlord could have stopped by and taken the notice off the door or a gremlin, whose sole purpose in this world is to tarnish the reputation of every single good hearted landlord, might have taken all of the notices.

Last edited:

AdamWe

Owner/landlord with the option that we could pay it and take the money off of next months rent however most of the tenants are college kids so they probably can't pay the late bill because it might cut into their beer money or partying fund or maybe we already paid this months rent and the shut off is for the middle of April. I always pay my rent early.

xylene

You need to call the water company - $1,400 is WAY TOO HIGH
The landlord needs to call the water company, with his checking account and routing number. Tenants calling is very unlikely to get the water to stay on.

$1400 is not that high for water unpaid after 10 months. Oh, thats right its a rented property so the water authority is going to cut the landlord a special deal where there is no penalties, onerous fees or even ordinary interest...

East coast water might be abundant but is rare for it to be cheap. Who pays for crumbling infrastructure - the ratepayer!

AdamWe

Right On my man. It still doesn't answer my original question but I feel confident after 10 more posts where I answer inconsequental questions like, how many showers I take a day, someone might be able to help me.

Also when I said gremilin, I meant that he was trying to tarnish every landlords reputation, not only every good hearted landlord. Saying good hearted landlord is redundant, every landlord is good hearted especially landlords with $1400 water bill.

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

AdamWe; said:
The house has 3 apartments all with 3 tenants each. At your calculation at $20 per person our monthly water bill should be $180. Not all tenants are drooling out the side of their mouths retarded, could you atleast assume as much?

Your calculations are grossly inflated per tenant. Water usage for a single tenant should not exceed 15/mo the adding of 2 more would bring it up to about 25/mo which is what I accounted for.

xylene
Special deals for rental property? I better call my water authority and make arrangements:eek:

Last edited:

AdamWe

What part about 3 apartments living with 3 tenants a piece didn't you understand. 3x3 is 9 tenants. Must have failed alot of word problems in school. And the monthly usuage is about 134.

Cvillecpm

You call the water company to:

1) have them come check for a leak since the useage is so high;
2) ask where the bills are being sent and double check that the landlord's correct address is on file with them;
3) ask if you can assume service and get bills if you can work out payment for the past deliquency with your landlord/property owner.

They just want their money - and may well provide you with sufficient information for you to correct the situation by getting the bills into your landlord's hands OR assuming the responsibility for the service and suing the landlord...You want options? You can't handle the options!

Alaska landlord

What part about 3 apartments living with 3 tenants a piece didn't you understand. 3x3 is 9 tenants. Must have failed alot of word problems in school. And the monthly usuage is about 134.
Sorry If I have over burdened your mind with the simple calculation. Locate your calculator, read the instructions and multiply 25*3 Not 9.

water usage is calculated per unit not tenant.

treese

This weekend my house recieved a 30 day shut off notice for a 10 month unpaid water bill, approximately $1,400. In the lease it states that the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill. I was wondering what are my legal options if my landlord was stupid enough to allow the water be turned off. Do I have to wait until the water is shut off before I can perform any actions?
It would not hurt you to begin a paper trail in case the water does get turned off.

Send a Certified letter to the landlord stating that it has come to your attention that the water bill is past due and the service is set to be shut off in 30 days. Point out that per your lease, the LL is responsible to pay the water bill. Also point out that lack of water is a habitability issue.

I would not, as the tenant, call the water company. It is the landlord's responsibility.

Last edited:

AdamWe

It would not hurt you to begin a paper trail in case the water does get turned off.

Send a Certified letter to the landlord stating that it has come to your attention that the water bill is past due and the service is set to be shut off in 30 days. Point out that per your lease, the LL is responsible to pay the water bill. Also point out that lack of water is a habitability issue.

I would not, as the tenant call the water company. It is the landlord's responsibility.
Thank you treese, your answer was helpful and informative. It was not my interest to start taking up the landlord's responsibilities or debate the finer points of water rates across the nation.

moburkes

Thank you treese, your answer was helpful and informative. It was not my interest to start taking up the landlord's responsibilities or debate the finer points of water rates across the nation.
I'm sure that wasn't your point, especially when you need to brush up on your math skills. I do, however, hope that you get your situation taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">