+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AdamWe is offline Member

Water Shut Off Notice

What is the name of your state? PA

This weekend my house recieved a 30 day shut off notice for a 10 month unpaid water bill, approximately $1,400. In the lease it states that the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill. I was wondering what are my legal options if my landlord was stupid enough to allow the water be turned off. Do I have to wait until the water is shut off before I can perform any actions?
    Alaska landlord is offline Senior Member
    So how is it that the water is running at 140/mo when most people use about 25/mo?
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member

Wink

Ditto and why is the first/only notice that you as the property residents have received?

You need to call the water company - $1,400 is WAY TOO HIGH
    AdamWe is offline Member
    The house has 3 apartments all with 3 tenants each. At your calculation at $20 per person our monthly water bill should be $180. Not all tenants are drooling out the side of their mouths retarded, could you atleast assume as much?

And this is the first notice I have seen, there might have been more. The landlord could have stopped by and taken the notice off the door or a gremlin, whose sole purpose in this world is to tarnish the reputation of every single good hearted landlord, might have taken all of the notices.
    Last edited by AdamWe; 03-26-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Gadfly is offline Senior Member
    Could be water/sewer/late fee combo.

Was the notice addressed to YOU or the owner?
    AdamWe is offline Member
    Owner/landlord with the option that we could pay it and take the money off of next months rent however most of the tenants are college kids so they probably can't pay the late bill because it might cut into their beer money or partying fund or maybe we already paid this months rent and the shut off is for the middle of April. I always pay my rent early.
    xylene is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm View Post
    You need to call the water company - $1,400 is WAY TOO HIGH
    The landlord needs to call the water company, with his checking account and routing number. Tenants calling is very unlikely to get the water to stay on.

$1400 is not that high for water unpaid after 10 months. Oh, thats right its a rented property so the water authority is going to cut the landlord a special deal where there is no penalties, onerous fees or even ordinary interest...

East coast water might be abundant but is rare for it to be cheap. Who pays for crumbling infrastructure - the ratepayer!
    AdamWe is offline Member
    Right On my man. It still doesn't answer my original question but I feel confident after 10 more posts where I answer inconsequental questions like, how many showers I take a day, someone might be able to help me.

Also when I said gremilin, I meant that he was trying to tarnish every landlords reputation, not only every good hearted landlord. Saying good hearted landlord is redundant, every landlord is good hearted especially landlords with $1400 water bill.
    Last edited by AdamWe; 03-26-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarifying use of 'gremilin'
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWe;
    The house has 3 apartments all with 3 tenants each. At your calculation at $20 per person our monthly water bill should be $180. Not all tenants are drooling out the side of their mouths retarded, could you atleast assume as much?

Your calculations are grossly inflated per tenant. Water usage for a single tenant should not exceed 15/mo the adding of 2 more would bring it up to about 25/mo which is what I accounted for.

xylene
    Special deals for rental property? I better call my water authority and make arrangements
    Last edited by Alaska landlord; 03-26-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    AdamWe is offline Member
    What part about 3 apartments living with 3 tenants a piece didn't you understand. 3x3 is 9 tenants. Must have failed alot of word problems in school. And the monthly usuage is about 134.
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member

Red face

You call the water company to:

1) have them come check for a leak since the useage is so high;
    2) ask where the bills are being sent and double check that the landlord's correct address is on file with them;
    3) ask if you can assume service and get bills if you can work out payment for the past deliquency with your landlord/property owner.

They just want their money - and may well provide you with sufficient information for you to correct the situation by getting the bills into your landlord's hands OR assuming the responsibility for the service and suing the landlord...You want options? You can't handle the options!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWe View Post
    What part about 3 apartments living with 3 tenants a piece didn't you understand. 3x3 is 9 tenants. Must have failed alot of word problems in school. And the monthly usuage is about 134.
    Sorry If I have over burdened your mind with the simple calculation. Locate your calculator, read the instructions and multiply 25*3 Not 9.

water usage is calculated per unit not tenant.
    treese is offline Senior Member
    This weekend my house recieved a 30 day shut off notice for a 10 month unpaid water bill, approximately $1,400. In the lease it states that the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill. I was wondering what are my legal options if my landlord was stupid enough to allow the water be turned off. Do I have to wait until the water is shut off before I can perform any actions?
    It would not hurt you to begin a paper trail in case the water does get turned off.

Send a Certified letter to the landlord stating that it has come to your attention that the water bill is past due and the service is set to be shut off in 30 days. Point out that per your lease, the LL is responsible to pay the water bill. Also point out that lack of water is a habitability issue.

I would not, as the tenant, call the water company. It is the landlord's responsibility.
    Last edited by treese; 03-26-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    AdamWe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treese View Post
    It would not hurt you to begin a paper trail in case the water does get turned off.

Send a Certified letter to the landlord stating that it has come to your attention that the water bill is past due and the service is set to be shut off in 30 days. Point out that per your lease, the LL is responsible to pay the water bill. Also point out that lack of water is a habitability issue.

I would not, as the tenant call the water company. It is the landlord's responsibility.
    Thank you treese, your answer was helpful and informative. It was not my interest to start taking up the landlord's responsibilities or debate the finer points of water rates across the nation.
    moburkes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamWe View Post
    Thank you treese, your answer was helpful and informative. It was not my interest to start taking up the landlord's responsibilities or debate the finer points of water rates across the nation.
    I'm sure that wasn't your point, especially when you need to brush up on your math skills. I do, however, hope that you get your situation taken care of.