+ Reply to Thread
    Mitchell! is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Water shut off without Notice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I live in a small apartment complex (4 apartments). We are all upstairs of a small business. On several occassions the water has been shut off in order to do repairs in a couple of the apartments. The water is included in the price of the rent for all 4 apartments.

We are never notified when these repairs are going to take place, and therefore are not aware the water is off until we go to use it (do dishes, shower before work, etc.). The landlord provides the contact info for an electrician, plumber, etc. on a sheet that is attached to the lease. We are expected to call them if we have an issue, and the landlord is then billed for the repairs.

My question is: Is it the responsibility of the tenant or the landlord (or the repairman or anybody) to let the other tenants know when and for how long they will be without water? It is rather frustrating to wake up and not be able to shower before work, give my pets water, brush my teeth, etc etc etc. When I had work done in my own apartment, I let all the other tenants know that the water would be off - I asked them if the landlord had made them aware beforehand and they all said no. I wasn't sure if it was my responsibility or not, so I told everyone just to cover my back.
    Last edited by Mitchell!; 07-14-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Baranov is offline Member
    It is not always possible to predict when a water issue may present itself. They have to be taken cared of without delay once identified. These are most likely emergency repairs and there is no time to take the usual time consuming procedure of tenant notification.
    Every time this has happened (including the time I had repairs done in my apartment, and the current repairs being made now, down the hall) it was not an emergency. Todays appointment was scheduled (I called the landlord and found out), and my own repairs were a scheduled appointment that I made 2 days prior to a repairman showing up.
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell! View Post
    Every time this has happened (including the time I had repairs done in my apartment, and the current repairs being made now, down the hall) it was not an emergency. Todays appointment was scheduled (I called the landlord and found out), and my own repairs were a scheduled appointment that I made 2 days prior to a repairman showing up.
    You put your request in writing to the landlord and all repair Companies , that you be notified of non-emergency repairs 24 hrs. in advance .You may want to have all tenants sign it ,and keep copies .

For non-emergencies , not to notify tenants is bad business .

Is it illegal? NO.

[url=http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/attygenguide.html#1]NYC Rent Guidelines Board[/url]
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    MAKE sure the service people have YOUR contact information!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BL View Post
    You put your request in writing to the landlord and all repair Companies , that you be notified of non-emergency repairs 24 hrs. in advance .You may want to have all tenants sign it ,and keep copies .

For non-emergencies , not to notify tenants is bad business .

Is it illegal? NO.

[url=http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/attygenguide.html#1]NYC Rent Guidelines Board[/url]
    That is a good idea. Hopefully they will actually do what we request and make contact before the next non-emergency repairs are made. Thanks!