• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We Get Robbed Too Much

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedRaider2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Foregoing the already tense relationship between myself and the LLC that operates my duplex neighborhood, Lynnwood, me and my roommates have had enough.

This past March me and 2 other guys signed a lease on a place to take effect in August. Since signing the lease, my side of the house, (I'm moving to the other side of the duplex I'm currently living in) was broken into and robbed. This is the third time we've had a theft in some form or fashion since last May. We literally don't feel safe in the neighborhood anymore.

Like I said, the new lease hasn't taken effect yet, and we want out, preferably without having to pay out our lease. Help?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Foregoing the already tense relationship between myself and the LLC that operates my duplex neighborhood, Lynnwood, me and my roommates have had enough.

This past March me and 2 other guys signed a lease on a place to take effect in August. Since signing the lease, my side of the house, (I'm moving to the other side of the duplex I'm currently living in) was broken into and robbed. This is the third time we've had a theft in some form or fashion since last May. We literally don't feel safe in the neighborhood anymore.

Like I said, the new lease hasn't taken effect yet, and we want out, preferably without having to pay out our lease. Help?
Your only chance in getting out of the lease without any penalty is to find new tenants willing to move in and sign as replacement tenants. Or see if the LL is willing to allow you to sublet. Otherwise, that lease is fully enforceable and you can be held to it.

I have to ask - knowing that the house has been broken into twice prior to signing the new lease, you are just NOW thinking that you are unsafe? That would have been something on my mind when considering BEFORE signing a new lease for the same property. But that's me.

RedRaider2008

I have to ask - knowing that the house has been broken into twice prior to signing the new lease, you are just NOW thinking that you are unsafe? That would have been something on my mind when considering BEFORE signing a new lease for the same property. But that's me.
How close the place is to our jobs was the main factor. We can all walk to work, which means us poor college students won't ever get in that kind of a bind.

*edit*

There's a law in Texas requiring LL's to provide reasonable safety and security for tenants I believe. Is that not something we could use here?

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

"There's a law in Texas requiring LL's to provide reasonable safety and security for tenants I believe. Is that not something we could use here? "

You believe incorrectly. A landlord is required to provide a rental unit that is habitable; this means working plumbing, electrical, a source of heat, etc. It does not mean they must provide a neighborhood that is crime free.

Gail

sandyclaus

...There's a law in Texas requiring LL's to provide reasonable safety and security for tenants I believe. Is that not something we could use here?
And just what would you have the LL do for you? The problem is not with the LL, its with the neighborhood.

If you try to force the LL to add security measures to the property, you are asking for higher rent. Security cameras, fences, guards, they all cost money.

And as you said, the neighborhood is bad. Since the LL is not directly responsible for the break-ins, and they are not happening as a result of a specific LACK of security which the LL has promised as part of your lease, then its a non-starter.

Mass_Shyster

There's a law in Texas requiring LL's to provide reasonable safety and security for tenants I believe. Is that not something we could use here?

According to the Texas Attorney General:
YOUR RIGHT TO SECURITY
Although there are some specific exceptions, under Texas law a dwelling must be equipped with security devices such as window latches, keyed dead bolts on exterior doors, sliding door pin locks, sliding door handle latches or sliding door security bars and door viewers. These devices must be installed at the landlord’s expense.
Also, Robbery is theft by force. It sounds like you were burglarized, not robbed.

It sounds like you should get renter's insurance.

dmcc10880

Correct. That would be Texas Property Code Section 92.153.

In addition to renter's insurance, you and your roommates might want to consider a security system and perhaps speak with the landlord about putting bars on the windows-(if that's a point of entry for the burglar(s).

If the landlord has complied with providing the required, working security devices then you and your roommates need to look within to find solutions- with the approval of the landlord.

John_DFW

One marginally effective but cheap solution is to place stickers from an alarm company in the windows. They can be quickly and easily removed with a razor blade at move out.

Beyond that, security cameras are far more effective, but a much more expensive option. There are numerous models that do not require permanent installation.

Everyone should get renters insurance, and it is fairly affordable.

Mass_Shyster

Beyond that, security cameras are far more effective, but a much more expensive option. There are numerous models that do not require permanent installation.
Fake cameras are just as effective as a deterrent as real ones, unless the bad guys can tell they are fake. You can also pick up real cameras for short money, but don't connect them. Sort of a step up from the fake ones. Since they are real cameras, there's really no way to tell they aren't recording.

My solution was to get a dog. Unfortunately, renters don't always have that option.

Isis1

Unless it's like my dog who will likely roll over and want her tummy rubbed. :D
I had a dog like that. Big husky. An accidental intruder walked in in the middle of the night carrying food (he was delivering food from a church, but in the wrong apartment) and the dog just followed him around the house while he stumbled his way to the kitchen. It wasn't until my mother started screaming at the man did the dog realize that man wasn't supposed to be there. It was a great laugh in the morning.

dmcc10880

I had a dog like that. Big husky. An accidental intruder walked in in the middle of the night carrying food (he was delivering food from a church, but in the wrong apartment) and the dog just followed him around the house while he stumbled his way to the kitchen. It wasn't until my mother started screaming at the man did the dog realize that man wasn't supposed to be there. It was a great laugh in the morning.
Let it be known, when burglaring any property with a dog- drive through Mickey D's or for that matter, Taco Bell FIRST... the dog will NOT care if it's really beef. LOL

Redraider:

Did you put a deposit down to hold it? If yes, then that's your concession; you're out of the lease but you don't get your money back. And have you told your landlord yet you changed your mind? Landlords dislike "tense" relationships as much as renters. It's only April and as you say the lease won't start until August - that's a ways off - and I'm not sure why a landlord wouldn't bend on this one. This is obviously not a "legal" answer for you but a conversation at this point wouldn't hurt. He's got plenty of time to fill that space.

good luck.

Unless it's like my dog who will likely roll over and want her tummy rubbed. :D
LOL, same with our Catahoula Cur!!

The hilarious thing is that even though he's just a big baby, he's enormous. He weighs about 100 lbs, and can put his paws on your shoulders. And his teeth are huge!!!

I keep our door open during the day, leaving just the glass door open (because both dogs love to loll about in the sunshine). When someone approaches our front porch, Tank (that's his name ~ and it fits perfectly) will rush at the door (just to see what's going on) and without an exception, whoever it is steps back about 6 feet and won't even set foot on the porch.

Last Halloween (when he was half the size he is now) a sweet little neighborhood boy (about 5 years old) came "trick-or-treating." Well, Tank just wanted to be petted and so rushed at the door. The little boy ran off the porch, screaming and crying. Now, when he walks to the bus stop (past our house), he crosses the street to avoid our house ~ or rather, to avoid Tank. :(

dmcc10880

LOL, same with our Catahoula Cur!!

The hilarious thing is that even though he's just a big baby, he's enormous. He weighs about 100 lbs, and can put his paws on your shoulders. And his teeth are huge!!!

I keep our door open during the day, leaving just the glass door open (because both dogs love to loll about in the sunshine). When someone approaches our front porch, Tank (that's his name ~ and it fits perfectly) will rush at the door (just to see what's going on) and without an exception, whoever it is steps back about 6 feet and won't even set foot on the porch.

Last Halloween (when he was half the size he is now) a sweet little neighborhood boy (about 5 years old) came "trick-or-treating." Well, Tank just wanted to be petted and so rushed at the door. The little boy ran off the porch, screaming and crying. Now, when he walks to the bus stop (past our house), he crosses the street to avoid our house ~ or rather, to avoid Tank. :(
Now, I didn't think you were the type to get your jollies out of terrorizing the neighborhood kids? LOL

Those Catahoulas are really cool dogs!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">