• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we on the hook for anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justtherenters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Our lease specifically includes yard and pool care in the cost of our rent. The first few weeks the gardener/pool man came by as he should have to do the work. While pruning a tree, he not only did a shoddy job, but he put a hole in the siding of the house, in addition to flattening a lot of the bushes in the yard. Four months later and those bushes still haven't recovered. Anyway he was fired as soon as the landlord was notified about this by the lady renting the cottage on the property.

The landlord turned around and hired her daughter and son-in-law. The first couple weeks they did come by, but it was at random times on random days. This was unsettling because doing the work involves going into the back yard. Not so comfortable the day I was in the living room in just a towel with the blinds open and suddenly the daughter and her 3 kids and husband come into full view. I confronted them about the need for a regular day and time so that, at the least, I could make sure my dogs are inside when they get here if I'm not home.

Since then, them coming by has been hit and miss. They've sometimes claimed to have come by but the gate to the back was locked from the inside (we've actually nailed the latch on the inside into the open position, so it can't be locked from the inside), sometimes claimed they can't do any work because of dog poo in the yard (that time they actually were here, and got here literally just as my husband was walking back inside from poo-duty), among other excuses. Of course they haven't done the front yard even though the complaint is about the back yard. Several times they've claimed to have come over and been unable to get in the yard, but I was here, and they didn't come by at all!

For the last four weeks, no one has come by at all, and the weeks are knee-high in some places and the gravel in the front is nearly covered with weeds. The pool isn't doing so hot, and it's not covered. Not good news with this weather.

So my concerns are if we could end up on the hook if the pool ends up ruined (it's an above-ground pool that's 15 years old with a plastic liner, not a sturdy in-ground pool) from lack of proper chlorine maintenance or for the state of the yard when we do leave.

Should we suck it up and do the yard and pool care ourselves, though we're paying for it in rent and would have to buy all the tools and chemicals? If we do, can we charge for the work when we leave? Would we be best off not doing anything because we're weren't supposed to have to? If the pool ends up ruined because we do nothing, would be we on the hook for buying a new one? What are our options? The landlord has said she's going to find someone new, but it's been weeks and the yard looks like crap and I wouldn't swim in the pool as it is even if it was in the dead of summer.

FarmerJ

do your self a favor , take pics , have them dated at the proccessor and save them , and as time goes on and no one comes to do the yard or pool again take pics, and pics again when you finally do move, your copy of the lease , keep it safe and secure. that lease copy can help defend you should the LL be unfair re your damage deposit.

Who's Liable?

I would also send certified letters to the LL regarding the days and times when you have been home and no one arrived to do the yard work. Send the pictures as well.

Searchertwin

It never fails, someone is always covered in a towel and suddenly the workers appear. When I read this I take complaints with a grain of salt. Why, because they blame the workers and not themselves for being stupid enough walking around half naked with window in full view. or taking a shower and they walk in unexpected and see them naked. :rolleyes:
AND they are always comment, "literally just as my husband was walking back inside from poo-duty," or whatever they are complaining about.

They probably have come and you probably are not pleased with the results and want to complain. So stop using the above and do the following:

Send ccr letter to LL about the true complaints. The yard and pool is part of rent and you do not have to pay for services but expect it to be maintain on a regular basis.

But remember, what is shoddy work to you is not to me and vice versa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">