• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are bad living conditions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oyerjm

I live in a 2 BDR 1 bath apt in Ohio. About 3 weeks ago we told our mgr (we don't have the owner's name or #-we plan to get it soon) that we noticed water damage in our bathroom. Someone looked at it the next day, but nothing was done. We then began to notice more in the kitchen. So we informed the manager about that over a week ago. The over the weekend things got worse and finally 2 days ago the ceiling in the kitchen fell. Once that happened they sent the maint. man to look at it. Yesterday he took down the ceiling which had partially fallen and took out the ceiling in the bathroom. He said he would be back at the end of the week to start working on it. This happened b/c a pipe burst, apparently b/c the water from the boiler gets to hot. The maint. man's wife said this was the 3rd apt they had to fix, but our's was the worst. Should we get $ off our rent or be allowed to move. What is our recourse? And how long should they have to fix this problem considering we told them about it 3 weeks ago? Please help!

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

See related post on "unhealthy living conditions" in this forum sub-category.

O

oyerjm

I looked at the reply written in the other thread...does that mean that you think I should get a lawyer and go to court? Also another question, should we continue paying rent? We have put in writing what happened and added a few other complaints and wrote that we would not pay rent until it was fixed. As of yet we have not had a response.

HomeGuru

Read your State Statutes to see what your remedies are. Hire an attorney and sue. Deposit your rent in the client trust account with the attorney or the courts to be paid when all the problems are resolved.

O

oyerjm

Where can I find Ohio's state statutes? Is there a website?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">