• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashyxlynn

Last year, 2013, I was doing a close friend a favor and signed myself onto a lease, until his roommate was at their job for 6 months and could get approved. After a couple months pass me and said friend haven't been in much contact so I contact his girlfriend and ask her to bring me the paperwork to remove myself from the lease. She does, and I believe that that is the end of it. Roughly 6 months pass and I receive a letter from the apartment complex, claiming that I now owe them over $3000 with no explanation given. Upon asking my friend, I find out they ended up breaking the lease and we're charged for that, but that he was making payments. Now, I have a $3021 collection on my credit report, yet I am not sure how I am even at blame since I removed myself from the lease, and I wasn't the main lease holder. Is there anything I can do, or am I just screwed until he pays off the charges?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Last year, 2013, I was doing a close friend a favor and signed myself onto a lease, until his roommate was at their job for 6 months and could get approved. After a couple months pass me and said friend haven't been in much contact so contact his girlfriend and ask her to bring me the paperwork to remove myself from the lease. She does, and I believe that that is the end of itI . Roughly 6 months pass and I receive a letter from the apartment complex, claiming that I now owe them over $3000 with no explanation given. Upon asking my friend, I find out they ended up breaking the lease and we're charged for that, but that he was making payments. Now, I have a $3021 collection on my credit report, yet I am not sure how I am even at blame since I removed myself from the lease, and I wasn't the main lease holder. Is there anything I can do, or am I jwedust scre until he pays off the charges?
Yes...you are just screwed.

justalayman

yet I am not sure how I am even at blame since I removed myself from the lease, and I wasn't the main lease holder. Is there anything I can do, or am I just screwed until he pays off the charges?
You can't remove yourself from a lease. You can be released if all parties to the lease agree but apparently that is not what happened in this case.

and unless you were a co-signer (which you would still be held liable for the debt anyway), you were a main tenant, at least per the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">