• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about extremely loud upstairs neighbors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MoonBunny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I moved into a downstairs apartment not too long ago (No upstairs units were available or else I would've rented one). When I first moved in, two nice young guys introduced themselves and told me they lived upstairs and for about the first month I had no issues with them. I didn't realize that when I moved in, two of their other roommates were out of town, so there wasn't much noise, but ever since the new year has started and all 4 of them are home, my life has been a living nightmare.

They're all College students. They stomp, yes, sometimes they literally sound like Godzilla going through Tokyo but I can usually tune that out. The worst part is that they have a very large dog that runs around the apartment all night long--sometimes they chase it too--and it sounds like an earthquake. The dog runs around the apartment as early as 4:00 am, and combined with the tenants noise, my apartment sounds like the inside of a drum. They're all up the entire night, then wake me up super early in the morning with stomping, slamming their door open and shut, and of course the dog running laps. I never get a break from the noise as they're home all day (besides a few hours when they go to class) and they don't ever leave on the weekends. They smoke so much pot that the entire building smells like a skunk along with littering my porch with cigarette butts.

To answer the obvious question, YES I have confronted them, more than once. I've gone up to their apartment twice and told them to keep it down because it sounded like they were about to fall through my ceiling. They apologized, but nothing changed. I understand completely that noise is to be expected in apartments, but holy mother of GOD, there is no reason to make so much noise.

I've told the manager numerous times, and she told me she would send them a letter, but hasn't. I've asked if there are any other apartments available that I could move too because I'm about to lose my mind, and she told me they were all full. I think I'm just gonna have to break my lease, but until then, what can I do to stay sane? :confused:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I moved into a downstairs apartment not too long ago (No upstairs units were available or else I would've rented one). When I first moved in, two nice young guys introduced themselves and told me they lived upstairs and for about the first month I had no issues with them. I didn't realize that when I moved in, two of their other roommates were out of town, so there wasn't much noise, but ever since the new year has started and all 4 of them are home, my life has been a living nightmare.

They're all College students. They stomp, yes, sometimes they literally sound like Godzilla going through Tokyo but I can usually tune that out. The worst part is that they have a very large dog that runs around the apartment all night long--sometimes they chase it too--and it sounds like an earthquake. The dog runs around the apartment as early as 4:00 am, and combined with the tenants noise, my apartment sounds like the inside of a drum. They're all up the entire night, then wake me up super early in the morning with stomping, slamming their door open and shut, and of course the dog running laps. I never get a break from the noise as they're home all day (besides a few hours when they go to class) and they don't ever leave on the weekends. They smoke so much pot that the entire building smells like a skunk along with littering my porch with cigarette butts.

To answer the obvious question, YES I have confronted them, more than once. I've gone up to their apartment twice and told them to keep it down because it sounded like they were about to fall through my ceiling. They apologized, but nothing changed. I understand completely that noise is to be expected in apartments, but holy mother of GOD, there is no reason to make so much noise.

I've told the manager numerous times, and she told me she would send them a letter, but hasn't. I've asked if there are any other apartments available that I could move too because I'm about to lose my mind, and she told me they were all full. I think I'm just gonna have to break my lease, but until then, what can I do to stay sane? :confused:
There is just nothing you can do. You are complaining about noise that cannot be helped. There is clearly no insulating material between floors and you cannot avoid that kind of noise.

Try earplugs. They might help some.

FarmerJ

and what is your cities so called noise rule ? or ordinance ? in many places excessive noise after ten pm can be ticked so have you called the police ? if not then I suggest you do and keep doing it every time they disturb the peace ater ten ? ten thirty at night , see what can happen is that if your city has other nuisance type rules where after so many noise complaints they threaten the landlords rental license ill bet your LL will act on the complaint! Next time you complain to your LL do it via real paper letter via certified mail and keep a copy stapled to your certified receipt for your own paper trail.( if you complain to the police enough maybe your LL would be willing to let you out of your lease with zero penalty to you ? )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">