• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a detainer Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kostadamosta

What is the name of your state?TN
Hello
I have been living in a house that I was not on any lease, written or verbal. I have tried to keep the place and have paid the rent for it for about a year. I never talked to the landlord, he didn't even know my name. I haven't paid rent since October 2004 because of my roommate screwed me. He also was not on any lease. The person who talked with the landlord in the beginning has been gone for almost a year. I have been late paying almost every month I have been there. The landlord never said anything. I would pay two months at a time. The place was a dump...leaking, holes in the ceiling, water damaged floors ect...Anyway, he has put a detainer warrant on me for two months rent and late charges. The warrant is not even made out to my correct name.I didn't get it by someone handing it to me. My ex roommate took it and later gave it to me. My ex roommate also did not sign for it. I was going to pay him, now I wonder if I should keep my money and get a lawyer. Can he have me arrested? He never gave me any notice. Can he force me to go to court? Can he bother me where I work? What time limit is there on adjudication? I have since moved to another county and my name has changed... Where do I stand? thank you for your help

S

seniorjudge

"...I have since moved to another county and my name has changed..."

Keep your mouth shut and pretend you never made this post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">