• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do..Tenant Surrendered Key

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

As mentioned previously I had a tenant who moved out and has failed to pay December's rent. Rent was due on 12/1/04. I received in today's mail her door key. There was no forwarding address, and no return address on the envelope. Using the key she surrendered I entered her premises to find a few things of hers still in the room. My question is do I still need to go through the hassle of eviction or not? What do I do with the property she has abandoned? The envelope has a post mark of Florida so I would assume she has moved out of state and I doubt a constantable would be able to locate her to serve her.

In order to mitigate my damages and get the room in re-rentable condition I have itemized her property and moved it to a storage area.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BL

Send her a letter. To the address she used at your rental property , or one she used if not there , if you know it ( Last known address ).

In that letter state ,that since she has not paid rent and surrendered her keys, you have considered her vacated , and you have put her belongings in storage ( state where they are stored ) , and if not retrieved by ( 30 ) days, you will consider them abandoned, and dispose of them as you wish.

sign and date it, and keep a copy for yourself.

If the letter comes back to you undeliverable, do not open it , but keep it for your records .

Re-rent your room/Apt.

mark1210

Thank you. One other question. The lease contains the verbiage that a $20.00 late fee will be assesed per day that the rent is late. This has already exceeded $400.00. Would a court find this unresonable?

BL

mark1210 said:
Thank you. One other question. The lease contains the verbiage that a $20.00 late fee will be assesed per day that the rent is late. This has already exceeded $400.00. Would a court find this unresonable?

The envelope has a post mark of Florida so I would assume she has moved out of state and I doubt a constantable would be able to locate her to serve her.
And even if the Judge were to award you these damages, how do you plan on collecting on your Judgment ?

My advice . Re-rent ASAP , and as they say in business , you just have to eat a few . Forget it and move on .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">