• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if my apartment building becomes uninhabitable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meld

What is the name of your state? New York

I am a rent controlled tenant who moved into my apartment in 1969. I'm afraid that if a disaster happens, let's say the building has a fire and becomes uninhabitable, that I'll be stuck having to rent another apartment somewhere at a current market price that I can't afford.
Would I have any rights that would guarantee me a place to live at my current low rent or something close to it? What happens in such a case?

xylene

What is the name of your state? New York

I am a rent controlled tenant who moved into my apartment in 1969. I'm afraid that if a disaster happens, let's say the building has a fire and becomes uninhabitable, that I'll be stuck having to rent another apartment somewhere at a current market price that I can't afford.
Would I have any rights that would guarantee me a place to live at my current low rent or something close to it? What happens in such a case?
Rent control was never intended to be a permanent guarantee of ultra-low rent.

However, Should you become displaced by a disaster, I would expect that you could find short term assistance from the Red Cross or other relief agencies.

In the medium and long term, you would need to work with the various state and city agencies that deal with affordable housing, social services, and possibly the rent control board depending upon the lawful obligations of the landlord and or control board.

FarmerJ

Since its fair guess that you will be retiring in few years? so why dont you learn what options there are for so called senior citizens housing NOW so you will know where to apply etc. You know your LL could do every thing possible to keep up your building and something big could come and make it so your LL could not rebuild like zoning rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">