• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is MD lodger law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDRenter

What is the name of your state? MD

I have rented out the basement of my primary resident where I live. The only facility the tenant and I share is the washer and dryer. Everything else is seperate. The tenant is refusing to move out even though he verbally agreed to vacate in 2 weeks. He has been renting only for a month.
What can I do to make him vacate? Do I need to give a written notice? If so, for how long? Thank you

treese

I have rented out the basement of my primary resident where I live. The only facility the tenant and I share is the washer and dryer. Everything else is seperate. The tenant is refusing to move out even though he verbally agreed to vacate in 2 weeks.
Verbally agreeing to move out means nothing.

He has been renting only for a month.
He is a month to month tenant.

What can I do to make him vacate?
Only a court can force a tenant to move.

Do I need to give a written notice?
A 30 written notice is required - the 30 days must include a full rental period.

If so, for how long?
If you give him proper written notice today, he has until November 30th.

If he does not willingly vacate per the notice, you will have to evict through the courts.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? MD

I have rented out the basement of my primary resident where I live. The only facility the tenant and I share is the washer and dryer. Everything else is seperate. The tenant is refusing to move out even though he verbally agreed to vacate in 2 weeks. He has been renting only for a month.
What can I do to make him vacate? Do I need to give a written notice? If so, for how long? Thank you
you need to follow the eviction processes for your state.

are you evicting him/her for non payment, or just because you want this person to leave?

MDRenter

Thank you

The reason I want him out is because our agreement was to just let him rent out. But he moved in with his girl friend. Also, he is refusing to sign any kind of a lease. Thank you very much for all your advice!! I'll get started with the process.

HomeGuru

The reason I want him out is because our agreement was to just let him rent out. But he moved in with his girl friend. Also, he is refusing to sign any kind of a lease. Thank you very much for all your advice!! I'll get started with the process.
**A: did you read the law yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">