• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a "Month To Month For A Year Agreement" ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rocky3

Hi,
I am a tenant renting a house in California.
I've noticed that my agreement is a " Month To Month For A Year " Agreement. I've never heard of this type of agreement.

I moved into this house 6 months ago and since day 2, I've noticed the entire plumbing in the house was horribly damaged which creates the toilet to overflow and all the waste goes to the backyard which creates flies.. all the sinks in the house are clogged, the bath tube gets lots of the toilet waste also and the list goes on and on..

I rent this house through a property management.
I've contacted them for the past 6 months to please repair this plumbing issue with no success. (they never return my phone calls or emails). Owner of the house wants nothing to do with it and tells me to deal with the property mngmt.

Since is been over 6 months for me not being able to use my shower or toilet or do any dishes or cook, I've decided to get out of the rent agreement.
I sent my 30 day notice to property mngmt.

They called me just to threaten me and said that if I move, they will sue me and garnish my wages for the remainder of the 6 months.
I'm very frustrated and need some advice on what my rights are as a tenant in terminating this agreement.

Can this property mngmt actually garnish my wages and sue me for the rest of the 6 months if I move? What about this type of agreement we have which sounds funky to me.. is called " Month to Month for a Year " Agreement?
Am I stuck to this unsanitary house/situation for the rest of the year based on this rental agreement? Please advice.

Thank you so much.
Rocky

Gail in Georgia

What did you remember them telling you in terms of the length of the lease when you signed the rental agreement?

Consider contacting Code Enforcement to have them come and review these plumbing issues if they are as bad as you indicate they are.

It's a bit hard to believe you've lived with this type of situation for six months.

Gail

BL

What does you lease state about the amount of notice you must give the landlord to terminate the lease ,if anything ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">