• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights concerning my roommate when i dont have a lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilaq

What is the name of your state? new york city

i was handed down the apartment i now live in brooklyn by my sister after living there for several months. i aquired a new roommate to replace her after quite some time, and we never signed a lease as i didnt feel comfortable commiting to this person, and my landlord never asked. i am now engaged to my boyfriend and would like my apartment back so we can live together, and the roommate is refusing to leave. what are my rights if i dont have a lease, considering i was there for almost a year before he moved in and my sisters name was the last one on a lease?

thank you so much for any advice you might have

FarmerJ

if the roomate sublet from you on a month to month basis and you are the party that pays the whole rent, then you send your roomate a notice that complys with your states laws for month to month renters sent via certified mail telling the roomate that she now has notice from you to vacate. and if she fails to move out then file with the court asking them to order her to vacate. DONT forget to check your state statutes for landlord and tenant. NY has some very different laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">