• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is really required of the landlord?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbie12345

What is the name of your state? Oregon
The carpet of my new rental has been professionally cleaned and deodorized twice since the tentants before moved out. It states in my terms and conditions on my rental agreement that " the tentant will be responsible for any and all damage caused by their pets" Well the tentants before had two large unathourized dogs living in the house. The odor is not coming out, but the realators say the owner wont replace the carpet. Can they really deny me clean carpet? What can I do about this?

seniorjudge

debbie12345 said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon
The carpet of my new rental has been professionally cleaned and deodorized twice since the tentants before moved out. It states in my terms and conditions on my rental agreement that " the tentant will be responsible for any and all damage caused by their pets" Well the tentants before had two large unathourized dogs living in the house. The odor is not coming out, but the realators say the owner wont replace the carpet. Can they really deny me clean carpet? What can I do about this?
Assuming you are the tenant here and further assuming that you have not moved in, then don't move in.

If you have already moved in and the carpet fails your sniff test and there is nothing in writing between you and the landlord that your carpeting must pass your sniff test, then you are out of luck.

I can't tell you the name of the product, but there is a chemical that guarantees zero pet odor when used properly.

debbie12345

whats considered carpet damage?

But arent strong pet odors considered damage? The carpet is also quite stained and has various burn marks in it.

seniorjudge

debbie12345 said:
But arent strong pet odors considered damage? The carpet is also quite stained and has various burn marks in it.
What (if anything) have YOU and your LANDLORD signed (in writing) about your carpet?

BL

There is a product they sell at Hunting supply stores that is suppose to work wonders on odors . I can't recall the name of it .

Bottom line , the landlord could probably care less , if there's no agreement of replacement for you . And as uncomfortable as the odor may be , it's not considered a Health Hazard .

fairlight

If you don't have anything in writing that states that if the condition of the carpeting is not acceptable to you, the landlord will take whatever actions are necessary until it is, you're out of luck. If you moved in without such a document, you accepted the odor and the stains.

The situation with the unauthorized pets and the carpet is between the landlord and those tenants. He may or may not have taken monies out of their security deposits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">