• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whats the statute of limitations in NY for a landlord to sue a tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jean70

What is the name of your state? NY

I lived in an apartment about 5 years ago with my three children, two of which were under the age of 6, it was actually a 1/2 of a house. The neighbor on the other side was a very shady character (which I did not know when I moved in). To say the least he was always making "passes" at me and flirting with me and I did not feed in to these advances. I then found out he had recently been released from jail for molesting a relative (child). I then informed the landlord that I was very upset he didn't tell me and that I was moving with-in two weeks to protect my children. The neighbor plead down to an assault charge to avoice an actual sex offense charge. The landlord knew of this (though he did not admit it to me) because his neice is married to the guy and lives with him next door. When I left I cleaned the entire apartment and made shore everything was fine, nothing was damaged. I sent him a final letter explaining the situation (I even contacted the police to inquire if this guy - they confirmed he was trouble - but could not go into further detail). In the letter I pointed out I was current on rent, and that he would be keeping my security as well for the short notice. He also rented the apartment immediately - he was showing it to people before I even completely moved out. I have not heard anything in almost 5 years. The other day I received a letter from his attorney demanding over $1200 (the rent was $550 per month as was the security). I was wondering what the statute of limitations is in NY. He did nothing to warn me I was moving into a house with a child molester he was related to, nor did he try to assist with the problems with this man constantly hitting on me. How can I defend myself in court since it was so long ago, I probably don't have any files left. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">