• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is Abandoned Personal Property Abandoned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ani86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We started renting together as a couple of 4 years in May '08. Things went sour, he got abusive and we broke up in January of '09. He promptly quit his job and because I didn't feel like getting evicted I got a job borrowed from family and worked my butt off while trying to attend school to make sure we didn't get evicted. He lived rent free, responsibility free until he moved out in April of '09. He left most of his things behind, I sent several e-mails asking him to come get his belongings or to send money so I could mail them to him In July '09 I told him he had until July 30th or I was disposing of his things. The lease ran out in May, So he is no longer on the lease, and it is well passed July 30th now and I have still kept his things but I wondering if I would suffer legal ramification if I were to sell his things to get back some compensation for the back-rent he owes me. He also now lives in North Carolina, and he has literally stacks of boxes in my closet and storage unit. Am I stuck storing his things even though he is no longer a roommate, or on the lease?:confused:

Banned_Princess

Can you verify he did in fact receive the Emails? Did he reply? do you have the feature that shows whether or not he opened the email?

If not, you may feel better by doing the safe thing by sending proper notice as outlined by your state, which seems to not publicy exist, so send a certified letter to his last known address, then get rid of the stuff however you want as soon as the notice period is over. (AS SOON)

Sometimes a email is good enough, but sometimes it is not.

Other then that, personally I would just sell the stuff, I mean if he wanted it he would have come get it or showed interest that he did want it. I doubt he is ignoring you just so you'll get rid of his stuff so he can sue you for it....
but you never do know.

Last edited:

TigerD

...The lease ran out in May, So he is no longer on the lease,...
Are you still living in the same place? Did you sign a new lease? Has he been evicted? Have you checked your lease to make sure it didn't auto-renew or convert to a month to month?

DC

Banned_Princess

He did not have to be evicted, he moved out in April 09. The original lease that she had signed when moving in (3 years ago?) did convert to month to month until she recently had a new lease written up and signed.

Ani86

he is no longer on the lease, and it is well passed July 30th now and I have still kept his things but I wondering if I would suffer legal ramification if I were to sell his things to get back some compensation for the back-rent he owes me. He also now lives in North Carolina, and he has literally stacks of boxes in my closet and storage unit. Am I stuck storing his things even though he is no longer a roommate, or on the lease?:confused:
He is no longer on the lease. I stated that several times, I have already talked to the landlord about it, he is no longer a legal occupant.

Banned_Princess

OP I answered you already. what more do you want? Mail the guy a letter certified, giving him 15 days to come get it, or its gone... then after that period get rid of it. (keep the emails too, just in case.)

After reading the OP again, it doesnt say there was a new lease drawn up and signed, I may have incorporated that from a different post. But if the LL confirms he's not on the lease, and poster believes he was cut out of the updated lease, then it is safe to say he is not on the lease.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

We started renting together as a couple of 4 years in May '08. Things went sour, he got abusive and we broke up in January of '09. He promptly quit his job and because I didn't feel like getting evicted I got a job borrowed from family and worked my butt off while trying to attend school to make sure we didn't get evicted. He lived rent free, responsibility free until he moved out in April of '09. He left most of his things behind, I sent several e-mails asking him to come get his belongings or to send money so I could mail them to him In July '09 I told him he had until July 30th or I was disposing of his things. The lease ran out in May, So he is no longer on the lease, and it is well passed July 30th now and I have still kept his things but I wondering if I would suffer legal ramification if I were to sell his things to get back some compensation for the back-rent he owes me. He also now lives in North Carolina, and he has literally stacks of boxes in my closet and storage unit. Am I stuck storing his things even though he is no longer a roommate, or on the lease?:confused:

How sure are you, OP, he is not on the lease? Do you have a copy? -just making sure.

TigerD

He is no longer on the lease. I stated that several times, I have already talked to the landlord about it, he is no longer a legal occupant.
No actually you didn't. It is a simple question - have you signed a new lease?
If not, he is still on the lease.

Personally, I'd just chuck his crap and move on with my life.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">