• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when can I change the locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ana1976

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Tenants have a signed lease until Aug 31. We agreed via email that they could move out May 31. They asked to use the security deposit for last month's rent (this was via a phone call, nothing in writing). They told me the unit was in perfect condition and I agreed that they could use the security for last month's rent.

I have been doing repairs in the unit and giving them 24 hour notice. They have threatened to call the police on me because they do not want repairs done to a unit they moved out of. They now want me to refund the security deposit (that they used for rent) stating that I have taken over the property. I have not. I have only painted. Also, the only reason I even need to paint is because they painted the condo dark grey (without permission). They also took my shades and a shelf.

I don't want to be petty and take them to court over a few hundred dollars in stolen goods and paint. My question is, when can I change the locks? They changed the electric bills out of their name. I'm worried that if I don't change the locks they will do damage to walls that I have already had painted.

I called the Chicago Police Dept and they stated I should do a formal eviction since we don't have a documented agreement to end the lease early. As of now I have done nothing criminal but the police advised that changing locks even before Aug 31 could be considered criminal.

Please advise what my next steps should be. I'm just trying to do the right and protect myself from a future lawsuit from them.

Gail in Georgia

Stop doing any repairs until they move out May 31st.

Get the keys back under your control when they move out.

All three of you sign a notice agreeing they can break the lease as of May 31 and that such documentation protects them being sued for owed rent until their lease would normally expire on August 31st.

If they are still living there until May 31st and you change the locks you must provide them with a key to enter the rental unit they still have under their name.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">