• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can I dispose of tenant's abandoned possessions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrd102

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My tenants moved out on Oct 31st. They still have belongings in the apartment. How long do I have to hold onto them? This is preventing me from renting the rooms. I am also getting bombarded with their mail. What can I do about that?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My tenants moved out on Oct 31st. They still have belongings in the apartment. How long do I have to hold onto them? This is preventing me from renting the rooms. I am also getting bombarded with their mail. What can I do about that?
Perhaps your best bet is to either consult a LL/tenant or real estate attorney , or if you know the eviction process , formally evict .

New Jersey
§§ 2A: 18-72 to -82
If a landlord believes a tenant has abandoned personal property remaining in a dwelling unit, the landlord may dispose of it. Before the disposal, the landlord must notify the tenant that the property (1) is considered abandoned and that it will be stored for 30 days (33 days if the notice is mailed) and (2) will be sold at a public or private sale or disposed of or destroyed if believed to be of little value.
Most of the states have laws that are specific to post-eviction handling of tenants' property. However, the law in some states (e. g. , Arizona, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, and New Jersey) applies to property that a tenant “abandons” either pre- or post-eviction. These states generally establish a presumption that property is abandoned (1) after a specified number of days if the tenant has not informed the landlord of an extended absence or (2) if the tenant does not respond to the notice of disposition. Although a person who has been evicted from a dwelling unit is no longer a “tenant”, we have used this term throughout for ease of understanding.
After 30 days, the landlord may sell the property and deduct from the proceeds the reasonable costs of notice, storage, and sale, and any unpaid rent and charges not covered by a security deposit. After deducting these amounts, the landlord must give the tenant the difference. If the tenant cannot be found, the landlord must turn the remaining proceeds over to Superior Court.

lrd102

I have no way of notifying them since they wouldn't tell me their new address. What can I do in this case?

HomeGuru

I have no way of notifying them since they wouldn't tell me their new address. What can I do in this case?
**A: send a certified rrr letter to the last known address and state to please forward. Contact the USPS and ask what you need to do and how much to obtain a forwarding address of an individual. Post a notice by publication in a local newspaper.
All these options work as I use them all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">