• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when can LL lock me out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

akio

Louisiana
I am on a month-to-month lease. My landlord has just told me I have thirty days to vacate. I want to get out ASAP so I won't have to pay rent for next month, the 1st is in 6 days. I can be out soon, my question is: how long do I have before he can legally lock me out or get me evicted?

H

happylucky

He can file for eviction usually within 3 days if you dont pay rent.

But YOU will still owe for July's rent since you must give 30 days notice to leave as well..

If you have a one month security deposit you could ask the landlord to use it for next months rent.

Rememebr the rule: The landlord is legally entitled NOT to lose even one day's rent on YOU! So if you break a Lease and the apartment is empty YOU will owe the rent untill it is re rented, so unless the landlord gets a new tenant to move in the next day after you leave, then you owe for July's rent..

==========
SO...... What country do you live in? is it Russia? China? Cuba? NO its the good ole USofA.

So he cannot lock you out , PERIOD.......without a signed order from a Judge AND a marshall or sherriff must serve you with the order THEN your stuff can be put in the street!

If the landlord tries anything stupid, call the police and have him arrestd!

[Edited by happylucky on 06-26-2001 at 08:20 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">