• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can a tenant break lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walll

Colorado

My Mother is very ill and I may be required to move in with her. I cannot afford to pay rent on a place I am not living in. Also, I sent a letter in with my rent on things that needed to be fixed, now she says she didn't receive it. And last, I fear for the safety of myself and property, is there anyway I can get out of this lease?

V

Votan

It sounds like your landlord is she. You sent her a letter with the rent. Was it cash or check? If it was a check and she has not received yet, call your bank and block payment for that check. If you sent cash, you are under the spell of her integrity, or non-integrity, and you cannot do anything about it.

You should be able to arrange with her that you vacate the apartment and you pay rent and utilities until she or yourself find a tenant for that apartment or until the end of the lease, which ever is shorter.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Votan said:
It sounds like your landlord is she. You sent her a letter with the rent. Was it cash or check? If it was a check and she has not received yet, call your bank and block payment for that check. If you sent cash, you are under the spell of her integrity, or non-integrity, and you cannot do anything about it.

You should be able to arrange with her that you vacate the apartment and you pay rent and utilities until she or yourself find a tenant for that apartment or until the end of the lease, which ever is shorter.
==========================================

My response:

Another idiotic "Votan" response!

What the hell does this mean?
"It sounds like your landlord is she."

And, I just LOVE this one . . .
"If you sent cash, you are under the spell of her integrity, or non-integrity, and you cannot do anything about it."

What the hell does THAT mean? "Under the spell"?

Perhaps, our writer should see a psychic for his answers, right Votan?

And, where did this word come from?
"non-integrity"

What a turd.

IAAL

W

walll

Apartment Assessment Letter

I sent a list, signed and dated last April, and have mentioned it several times to the maintenance man as well, my landlord says she left message asking for another copy but I don't recall any such message and nothing has been fixed. When I mentioned it this month she says to just give her another copy. Can I use this in any way either to break lease or on rent?

FarmerJ

wall only if it is serious big bad stuff so what happend to the missing money ? and if you make attempt to claim the lack of repairs are reason you are moving you better be able to prove to a court that the unit is in poor shape with pictures that are dated and copies of letters requesting the repairs and at the very least certificate of mailing rcpts to prove you even sent the letters into the postal system . Otherwise get what ever you owe settled to make the rent current and send the LL in mail after making copy a letter and make sure you get either certificate of mailing or send it certified OR registered where you get rcpt back and tell the LL you must vacate and are breaking the lease . NOW you want to see that apt re rented as fast as possible ?? you need to clean everything from a to Z the fridge the oven the cabbinettes the closets the bath & all sinks ALL the windowns , the light fixture glass , dust the top side of all wood work mop wax use wood polish on all woodwork clean the carpets make that apt so damn clean the first person who sees it says OMG this is so nice and tells the LL they want it (of course youll keep all recpts and take pictures of who shiny you made the place so you can prove it was in move in condition ) hopefully it will re rent fast .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">