intr.v. back∑ped∑aled or back∑ped∑alled, back∑ped∑al∑ing or back∑ped∑al∑ling, back∑ped∑als
1. To move the pedals of a bicycle or similar vehicle backward, especially to apply a brake.
2. To move backward by taking short quick steps, as in boxing or football.
3. To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude: The senator later backpedaled on the issue.
1. backpedal - pedal backwards on a bicycle
bicycle, bike, pedal, wheel, cycle - ride a bicycle
2. backpedal - step backwards, in boxing
step - shift or move by taking a step; "step back"
3. backpedal - modify one' opinion, make it less strong
rethink - change one's mind; "He rethought his decision to take a vacation