• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is a lease null and void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Northerngirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
We found a house in North Carolina. The landlord sent us a signed lease (with the previous tenants information, name..dates...etc). After fixing the names and dates, we signed the lease 3 days later. I had already started to have a "gutt feeling" about the guy. The lease was dated June 15th by him and June 18th by us. We were to take the house over on July 1st. A few days later I started to make inquiries about cable, etc... The address he listed on the lease was Not correct. It is in a different county that puts my children into a different school. I can petition, but no promises until they have a final count closer to the new school year. I picked this house because of the school! I forgot to mention that we had already sent him First, Security and dog deposit. Around $2200.00. He swore he did not know, but my bad feeling was getting stronger. I would also ask him a question and he would divert my question. We were supposed to get the keys on July 3rd, but he had to push back the appointment. He wanted to do it later, but we had plans. My iphone only works sporadically and we were having issues. I texted him saying this. July 4th my phone rebooted and I was able to text and email..No calls. I emailed him, but it was sent back to me. At 12:28 pm, he emailed me saying that because we were ignoring him, he would consider the contract null and void. Then said "let me know how you want to proceed?" Later that night, we found the house on Craigslist. The time was 6 minutes after my email. We took the number off of craigslist and called him...WHAT A JERK!! "Oh I thought you were dead!!" Making dumb comments like that. We basically said you called it null and void, that's fine. We did not want to start off a relationship like that. Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. You were ignoring me. Not true. Phone issues are phone issues. I had been there 100% of the time before that. Today is the 8th, we still don't have the keys, the house is still on craigslist and he has not contacted us back about the money. Please help!! I don't know what else to do. I feel completely taken advantage of right now. Do I have a leg to stand on for a full reimbursement since I have not been provided with keys. As well as the house is in a different county and on craigslist??

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
We found a house in North Carolina. The landlord sent us a signed lease (with the previous tenants information, name..dates...etc). After fixing the names and dates, we signed the lease 3 days later. I had already started to have a "gutt feeling" about the guy. The lease was dated June 15th by him and June 18th by us. We were to take the house over on July 1st. A few days later I started to make inquiries about cable, etc... The address he listed on the lease was Not correct. It is in a different county that puts my children into a different school. I can petition, but no promises until they have a final count closer to the new school year. I picked this house because of the school! I forgot to mention that we had already sent him First, Security and dog deposit. Around $2200.00. He swore he did not know, but my bad feeling was getting stronger. I would also ask him a question and he would divert my question. We were supposed to get the keys on July 3rd, but he had to push back the appointment. He wanted to do it later, but we had plans. My iphone only works sporadically and we were having issues. I texted him saying this. July 4th my phone rebooted and I was able to text and email..No calls. I emailed him, but it was sent back to me. At 12:28 pm, he emailed me saying that because we were ignoring him, he would consider the contract null and void. Then said "let me know how you want to proceed?" Later that night, we found the house on Craigslist. The time was 6 minutes after my email. We took the number off of craigslist and called him...WHAT A JERK!! "Oh I thought you were dead!!" Making dumb comments like that. We basically said you called it null and void, that's fine. We did not want to start off a relationship like that. Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. You were ignoring me. Not true. Phone issues are phone issues. I had been there 100% of the time before that. Today is the 8th, we still don't have the keys, the house is still on craigslist and he has not contacted us back about the money. Please help!! I don't know what else to do. I feel completely taken advantage of right now. Do I have a leg to stand on for a full reimbursement since I have not been provided with keys. As well as the house is in a different county and on craigslist??
yes you are, but it sounds like you are going to have to fight to get it back. send certified letters agreeing to void the lease, and demand your security back in full, give him a week or so. then you have to go to the property's civil court house and file a civil suit to get your security and rent back.

print out the craigslist add with its web address. as proof that he declined the lease which was full of clerical errors.

how come you didnt look at the property before signing a lease, and paying your money for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">