• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable on an rental home lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crapgame44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My wife , I and my mother were all listed on the lease for a rental home. Unfortunately we had to leave the house early and are now being sued for the remainder of the lease and costs. But, MY 83 yo mother has been left off the lawsuit for some reason. Her monthly income was her SS and a small pension which we know are protected. We were wondering if she is not on the lawsuit would we be liable for only 2/3's of the costs? Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My wife , I and my mother were all listed on the lease for a rental home. Unfortunately we had to leave the house early and are now being sued for the remainder of the lease and costs. But, MY 83 yo mother has been left off the lawsuit for some reason. Her monthly income was her SS and a small pension which we know are protected. We were wondering if she is not on the lawsuit would we be liable for only 2/3's of the costs? Thanks
Generally any one of the tenants listed on the lease can be held liable for the full amount owing on the lease. You will need to read the terms of the lease you signed.

Gail in Georgia

Look for a term on your lease that say something along the lines of each tenant being "jointly and severally" responsible for the rent.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">