• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays deductible for apartment flood?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sdallas45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Came home in the middle of the night to an unlocked door, after being gone all weekend, and all my carpet ripped out of the apartment with the heat full blast and industrial fans blowing. Apparently a pipe broke and flooded my place. Never got a phone call or so much as a note about it. The emergency hot-line for the complex was not working ("phone was dead"). No answer from anyone for 2 days, tons of stuff ruined from management poorly handling personal belongings, etc. I have renters insurance with a 1,000 deductible. My landlord says they are not paying it. The options are I can find somewhere to go till its repaired, or move out.

Should I have to pay the $1,000 deductible? It seems outrageous that I would have to. I want to fight it. Thoughts?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Came home in the middle of the night to an unlocked door, after being gone all weekend, and all my carpet ripped out of the apartment with the heat full blast and industrial fans blowing. Apparently a pipe broke and flooded my place. Never got a phone call or so much as a note about it. The emergency hot-line for the complex was not working ("phone was dead"). No answer from anyone for 2 days, tons of stuff ruined from management poorly handling personal belongings, etc. I have renters insurance with a 1,000 deductible. My landlord says they are not paying it. The options are I can find somewhere to go till its repaired, or move out.

Should I have to pay the $1,000 deductible? It seems outrageous that I would have to. I want to fight it. Thoughts?
why is your deductable so high??? thats rediculous.

you are responsible for paying your out of control deductable.

Sdallas45

That is pretty standard actually. Some companies might have like 250 deductibles and are like $200 more annually, but that is mine. Do you have proof somewhere that says without a doubt I have to pay that, as appose to my landlord?

Thanks

justalayman

That is pretty standard actually. Some companies might have like 250 deductibles and are like $200 more annually, but that is mine. Do you have proof somewhere that says without a doubt I have to pay that, as appose to my landlord?

Thanks
you deductible should be no higher than you are actually willing and able to pay.

anyway, what caused the broken pipe? Depending on whether anybody can be held responsible for your deductible will depend on what actually caused the damage.

is this an apartment or a condo or something else?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">