• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for a new hot water heater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fairapril1

What is the name of your state (MD)?

I have been a tenant in a single family home for 2 1/2 yrs. now. Just 2 months ago the hot water tank had to be replaced in this 10 yo home. The landlord told us that he was unable to pay for that, and being unwilling to live without hot water, we purchased and paid for installation of a new hot water tank.
Am I able by law to deduct this from my rent payments?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Who's Liable?

Usually yes. Items like the hot water heater are the LLs responsibility.

HOWEVER did you get a WRITTEN agreement to be reimbursed?

nh_wayne

Should have made a payment arrangement (deducted from rent) before you replaced the water heater. You are probably out of luck at this point. Just remember that next time.

Or like some else wrote:

Take it with you. But don't be shocked when it comes out of your security deposit and you will have to go to court to explain to the Judge that you already paid for it.

Who's Liable?

OP needs to demand in WRITING for the money that was used to install and purchase the WH.

Very bad idea to purchase and install without a written agreement, however the LL cannot legally profit from this by receiving a free WH.

justalayman

You cannot take the water heater with you when you leave. Once installed, it is considered a fixture and you cannot remove fixtures. They are part of the house. It would be the same as taking a door or a kitchen cabinet and yes, even if you paid for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">