• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays vandalism damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

I was actually alerted to this possibility several years ago when discussing an incident police report with a county police officer. Since I have never seen a newer renter's insurance policy, it never occurred to me that the tenant's coverage would pay. I cleaned up a property after an "egging" sent the bill to the tenant and the tenant's insurance paid/reimbursed me....sorry guys.

Frankly, a $200 claim on an owner's policy is not worth it so paying it out of pocket was our option untill I suggested the tenant submit to their insurance which worked.

The tenant knowing or not knowing the vandals is not a issue.
They were not required to pay it. Submitting it to the tenant's insurance company or submitting it to the LL's insurance company is the same thing. Neither has a responsibility to pay.

You paid for the damage to your vehicle because you had comprehensive coverage. If you could identify the people who did it, they would be held responsible.
I paid out of pocket. My insurance is the lowest coverage available because I don't drive often so I figured why pay more when I can just cut a $30 check each month. However, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. There's often a $500 deductable, so I may have only saved myself $100 if I had better insurance.

I do know the vandals could have been sued if caught. Man do I wish I heard the smashing so I could have gotten their license plate number!

acmb05

I was actually alerted to this possibility several years ago when discussing an incident police report with a county police officer. Since I have never seen a newer renter's insurance policy, it never occurred to me that the tenant's coverage would pay. I cleaned up a property after an "egging" sent the bill to the tenant and the tenant's insurance paid/reimbursed me....sorry guys.

Frankly, a $200 claim on an owner's policy is not worth it so paying it out of pocket was our option untill I suggested the tenant submit to their insurance which worked.

If I were you tenant I would have told you to pay it yourself. Why should tenants rates go up because owner is a tightwad.

moburkes

I paid out of pocket. My insurance is the lowest coverage available because I don't drive often so I figured why pay more when I can just cut a $30 check each month. However, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. There's often a $500 deductable, so I may have only saved myself $100 if I had better insurance.

I do know the vandals could have been sued if caught. Man do I wish I heard the smashing so I could have gotten their license plate number!
My bad. I thought you said that your insurance company paid.

Makes sense. It is the difference between opting for insurance that has a coverage policy, and what is required by the law. It just works in the landlords favor if the renter opts to have such insurance.

justalayman

the fact that in cvilles situation that the tenants insurance paid the request fo payment does not mean that is what is required. It simply means that they paid the bill.

and you you ask a county cop about liability laws? Ya, I can see you getting the straight and correct answer there alright...NOT. The fact they did pay does not mean they were required to. Renters insurance cover the renters property and if they purchase it, the renters liabilities surrounding the property. This in no way makes them resposible for a 3rd party action on the builiding.

again, that does not mean they were required to pay it. I have no idea what the claim reported. It may have been worded so the insurance company understood the damage to be the renters liability so they paid it. They may have paid it as a mistake. Who knows?

You're right. Unless the tenants did something to cause the action they are not liable in either case.

I can see a great scam happening with this one. The house burns down, sue the tenant 'cuz cville says they are liable.

Try again.

I guess simply "knowing" the vandals is not so much the point, because you could "know" an enemy who vandals your home.

What I've been told is that if people are invited into the home, and cause damage, the tenants must pay for it by law. So if you invite a door-to-door salesman in, you don't "know" him....but if he spills chemicals on your rug, you pay for it.

Same with party guests bringing a friend who you don't know.

I'm pretty sure everyone else knew what I meant by that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">