• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for paying elecrtic bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cpviolet

Maryland-
Resident signed lease that they are responsible for electic. Resident calls in Sept 2013 for a problem with his water heater. Maint fixes it.
This happens every month until Jan 2014 (resident saids w/h isnt working, maint comes out)
In Jan 2014 the water heater gets replaced.
In the meantime resident recieves extremely high electic bills monthly ($600-$900..normal is about $80-$200)
In Febuary 2014 resident states its the water heater that caused his high bills. His bills were average $150 before he had problems with his water heater, and when it was fixed, in January, his febuary bill and march bill were much lower (not the average $150 but about the $300-$400 range)
As of April, May and June 2014 his bill is in the normal range (about $120)
There is really no way to prove if the water heater was the cause of it. Even if it were, management/landlord had sent someone out to correct it, each time.

Would landlord be responsible for his electric bill that was extremely high?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maryland-
Resident signed lease that they are responsible for electic. Resident calls in Sept 2013 for a problem with his water heater. Maint fixes it.
This happens every month until Jan 2014 (resident saids w/h isnt working, maint comes out)
In Jan 2014 the water heater gets replaced.
In the meantime resident recieves extremely high electic bills monthly ($600-$900..normal is about $80-$200)
In Febuary 2014 resident states its the water heater that caused his high bills. His bills were average $150 before he had problems with his water heater, and when it was fixed, in January, his febuary bill and march bill were much lower (not the average $150 but about the $300-$400 range)
As of April, May and June 2014 his bill is in the normal range (about $120)
There is really no way to prove if the water heater was the cause of it. Even if it were, management/landlord had sent someone out to correct it, each time.

Would landlord be responsible for his electric bill that was extremely high?
Not enough information has been given.

Zigner

After re-reading, I will take back what I said earlier. Based only on what you posted, the resident is responsible. Specifically, you stated that there is no way to prove that the water heater malfunctioned in such a way as to cause the high energy usage.

The electric bills could be chalked up to electric space heaters being used during the winter. Now that it's warming up, the bills would naturally go down.

LdiJ

After re-reading, I will take back what I said earlier. Based only on what you posted, the resident is responsible. Specifically, you stated that there is no way to prove that the water heater malfunctioned in such a way as to cause the high energy usage.

The electric bills could be chalked up to electric space heaters being used during the winter. Now that it's warming up, the bills would naturally go down.
I am not sure that I agree...not with the kinds of figures that were quoted. Today's space heaters simply would not use that much power. However, I am not sure that a malfunctioning water heater could cause that much of a difference either. I would have some serious concern that there might be an overall issue that needs to be addressed.

Zigner

I am not sure that I agree...not with the kinds of figures that were quoted. Today's space heaters simply would not use that much power. However, I am not sure that a malfunctioning water heater could cause that much of a difference either. I would have some serious concern that there might be an overall issue that needs to be addressed.
It was just an example...the point was that there is no way to show that the water heater could cause the high usage.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion that it can't be shown to have been the water heater, but at this point it's probably to late to get that proof. It's probably time for a bit of polite and respectful communication between the tenant and the LL. Maybe something can be negotiated.

Gail in Georgia

"In Febuary 2014 resident states its the water heater that caused his high bills."

Legally the resident can prove this....how???

Gail

Zigner

And how does one plan to figure out how much of the "extra" usage is attributable to the water heater? Even after it was replaced, usage was higher than "normal".

LdiJ

And how does one plan to figure out how much of the "extra" usage is attributable to the water heater? Even after it was replaced, usage was higher than "normal".
I do agree...but again, I think that there is a distinct possibility that there is some other underlying issue and that someone needs to have an electrician check out the place to make sure that all is ok. It would take some massive power usage to go from 80-200 average a month to 600-900 average a month.

Zigner

I do agree...but again, I think that there is a distinct possibility that there is some other underlying issue and that someone needs to have an electrician check out the place to make sure that all is ok. It would take some massive power usage to go from 80-200 average a month to 600-900 average a month.
Ahhh, but it was $400 per month AFTER the water heater was replaced...much higher than previously.

Zigner

Still though, I honestly would be concerned and would want it checked out.
Sure...but several months down the road there is no way to check the water heater as it's been sent to the dump/recycler long ago.

LdiJ

Sure...but several months down the road there is no way to check the water heater as it's been sent to the dump/recycler long ago.
I meant that I would want the whole general electrical set up looked over to make sure that there wasn't something weird going on.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I meant that I would want the whole general electrical set up looked over to make sure that there wasn't something weird going on.
Well the winter was colder than it has been in years and maybe that accounts for it. Also how many people were previously in the household and how many now? What is the comparison? Is it apples to apples or apples to oranges (different family/people/usage rates or times)? Not arguing. If all that is equal then yes, get someone to check it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">