• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wish to break lease for medical reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

efarrell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Indiana and have some problems with my landlord.

First of all he takes an extremely long time to deal with maintainence concerns (it is october, I called him about some simple tasks early in august and they have yet to be taken care of).

Second of all (the main issue for me), while sleeping in the apartment, I got some severe spider bites that caused me to have to seek medical treatment on 3 occasions within 2 weeks. I am now terrified of spiders and the idea that the building could have some sort of infestation. I can no longer sleep in my apartment for the fear of a repeat incident.

I told my landlord that I could no longer live in the apartment due to the trauma that I experienced and his answer has been to have an exterminator come and spray my entire apartment, including all of my belongings. He tells me that the problem is taken care of. He also told me that if I left, I would be sued for the remaining amount of the lease.

While there may not be spiders in my apartment anymore (which can change at any moment), I am still experiencing the after effects of the bites (which occured between 9/26 and 10/1), I now have medical bills to pay, and I missed 25 hours of work. (aside the point, I am now concerned about all of my things covered in pesticide).

I guess my question now is: Is there a legal way for me to move out an avoid being sued by my landlord? Or if I am sued by my landlord, would it be possible to use the medical documentation I have an a statement from my doctor as grounds to break the lease?

Gail in Georgia

No and no.

First you complain that your landlord did not respond to what you yourself describe as simple tasks.

Then you complain that when you report the spider issue to the landlord and he DOES do something about this you're still unhappy.

Your only options are to ask the landlord if he would agree to you finding someone to sublet the rental unit or that you move out and continue paying rent until the conclusion of your lease.

But the reasons you provide will not prevent you from being sued by the landlord.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">