• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1000 bucks too much?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hans2234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Grand Junction, Colorado
I was on this web site posting and i saw this category and figured i might as well post here too...When i lived in Moab, Utah in 04 I had a defense attorney -- it was a vandalism case -- i paid him a thousand bucks, and i'm on disability. Thing is, he was the public defender for Moab, something he failed to tell me until after everything was over (Chargs were dropped.) Thing is, not only did the case never go to court, i couldn't see that my atty, AF, did an ounce of work on my case, stuff i asked him to do, he as like, yeah, yeah, i'll do it, and it never got done. So, first question: Did i get ripped off here? I know there's no law requiring him to tell me he's public defender and that he could represent me for free, but was 1000 bucks too much to ask for, or the norm? Can i get my $ back? Anyway, months later i drove down to the BAR to file a complaint about him -- unrelated to the $, and later we had to sit in court again together, he was not allowed to be my atty now that i had filed a complaint about him, he had to explain this to the judge, and AF totally badmouthed me to the judge, like said things that were not true, like, really not true, in order to denigrate my character, as if any complaint i make about him to her shouldn't be believed. As far as defense atty's go, is that common behavior? Dunno myself. Thanks for any replies.
-what is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Grand Junction, Colorado
I was on this web site posting and i saw this category and figured i might as well post here too...When i lived in Moab, Utah in 04 I had a defense attorney -- it was a vandalism case -- i paid him a thousand bucks, and i'm on disability. Thing is, he was the public defender for Moab, something he failed to tell me until after everything was over (Chargs were dropped.) Thing is, not only did the case never go to court, i couldn't see that my atty, AF, did an ounce of work on my case, stuff i asked him to do, he as like, yeah, yeah, i'll do it, and it never got done. So, first question: Did i get ripped off here? I know there's no law requiring him to tell me he's public defender and that he could represent me for free, but was 1000 bucks too much to ask for, or the norm? Can i get my $ back? Anyway, months later i drove down to the BAR to file a complaint about him -- unrelated to the $, and later we had to sit in court again together, he was not allowed to be my atty now that i had filed a complaint about him, he had to explain this to the judge, and AF totally badmouthed me to the judge, like said things that were not true, like, really not true, in order to denigrate my character, as if any complaint i make about him to her shouldn't be believed. As far as defense atty's go, is that common behavior? Dunno myself. Thanks for any replies.
-What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You agreed to pay $1000 for your defense. You paid $1000, and were defended. You don't get to tell the attorney how to do his job.

After you filed a complaint, did you expect him to be nice to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Copeland

You didn't answer the question. Yes, i agreed to pay 1000 bucks. Question was, was this a price a lawyer would normally choose to take on a case -- like i said, i was accused of vandalism -- a case that never made it to court, charges were dropped -- or else did i pay too much? That's my question. Please don't tell me you're an atty. Please don't say its ok for a lawyer to lie about his client to sabotage client's complaint.
-Josh

Antigone*

You didn't answer the question. Yes, i agreed to pay 1000 bucks. Question was, was this a price a lawyer would normally choose to take on a case -- like i said, i was accused of vandalism -- a case that never made it to court, charges were dropped -- or else did i pay too much? That's my question. Please don't tell me you're an atty. Please don't say its ok for a lawyer to lie about his client to sabotage client's complaint.
-Josh
You got off cheap:cool:

cyjeff

public defenders may not necessarily be ONLY public defenders.

In fact, many lawyers do the occasional PD case to get trial time... but that doesn't mean they don't take paying cases.

It helps them pay off all those law school loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">