• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

absent judge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eslmom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
After postponing the case for 3 months (police could not provide discovery to the lawyer) my husband and son took off of work and went to the court with the lawyer and test expert for the case-2 hours later no judge has appeared!! Can the lawyer charge us for this? Why doesn't the judge have to be respoonsible? There is a wuestion if my son is guilty or not and it seems to be unfair that nothing can be determined after 3 months!!

sandyclaus

After postponing the case for 3 months (police could not provide discovery to the lawyer) my husband and son took off of work and went to the court with the lawyer and test expert for the case-2 hours later no judge has appeared!! Can the lawyer charge us for this? Why doesn't the judge have to be respoonsible? There is a wuestion if my son is guilty or not and it seems to be unfair that nothing can be determined after 3 months!!
It's not the lawyer's fault that the judge didn't show up in court. He (the lawyer) came to court for the appearance and likely had to reschedule other matters to be there for you.

As for the judge, there are a number of reasons why he did not appear. He may have had an emergency of his own.

You'll just have to be patient for the rescheduled hearing date.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
yes the lawyer can charge his client for this -- or he can charge whoever signed the retainer/fee agreement for this because he took HIS time to be there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">