• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appropriate clothing for interpreter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I am going to court tomorrow to act as in interpreter. I am wondering if I could dress casually (a simple shirt and pants) or if I have to dress professionally (suit and tie) or? No idea what to wear.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello,

I am going to court tomorrow to act as in interpreter. I am wondering if I could dress casually (a simple shirt and pants) or if I have to dress professionally (suit and tie) or? No idea what to wear.
A suit and tie would be appropriate. At a minimum, a button-down shirt with dress slacks would suffice in a pinch.

Hello,

Do you want to be hired again? Then wear a jacket and tie. You don't have to wear a suit if you are young (20 year old guy with pimples), but a jacket and tie is a must.

This applies to all official settings: dress up.

Banned_Princess

Do you want to be hired again? Then wear a jacket and tie. You don't have to wear a suit if you are young (20 year old guy with pimples), but a jacket and tie is a must.

This applies to all official settings: dress up.
I'm pretty sure if you wear a jacket and tie, you are most likely in a suit.

I agree dress pants and shirt (tie if your shirt is white) is very professional.

I'm pretty sure if you wear a jacket and tie, you are most likely in a suit.

I agree dress pants and shirt (tie if your shirt is white) is very professional.

Huh?

There are plenty of ways to wear a jacket and a tie without a suit.

These days, I wear jeans and sweatshirts myself, but for young folks going to business meetings or court appearances, I would still advise professional wear.

To the OP: Depending on your age, wear a suit or Jacket/Tie. Hang around, chit-chat and make yourself be known. You have a great chance to network. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">