• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney altered my evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlvee

What is the name of your state? WA

During an arbitration, the opposing attorney asked to review my blueprints. He was granted a breakand took my blueprints to a private room, along with his client (my builder). When he returned, in the arbitrator's absence, I unrolled my prints and saw where someone had written, drawn, and marked over several areas in red marker; previous notations had been mine and made in red pencil. The opposing attorney had a fine point red marker. I asked if he had marked on my prints, he ignored me, the builder ignored me and the builder's wife said no. I told my attorney but he did not bring it up to the arbitrator. These blueprints were the original ones with my notations...I had no copies.

Is this worth complaining about to the bar?

S

seniorjudge

tlvee said:
What is the name of your state? WA

During an arbitration, the opposing attorney asked to review my blueprints. He was granted a breakand took my blueprints to a private room, along with his client (my builder). When he returned, in the arbitrator's absence, I unrolled my prints and saw where someone had written, drawn, and marked over several areas in red marker; previous notations had been mine and made in red pencil. The opposing attorney had a fine point red marker. I asked if he had marked on my prints, he ignored me, the builder ignored me and the builder's wife said no. I told my attorney but he did not bring it up to the arbitrator. These blueprints were the original ones with my notations...I had no copies.

Is this worth complaining about to the bar?
http://pro.wsba.org/

Contact those folks for info on how to file a complaint against the attorney who messed up your blueprints.

Dandy Don

Did these changes affect the outcome of your case and how were you harmed? If no harm was done it will be a waste of time filing a complaint.

S

seniorjudge

tlvee, here is some more info on the lawyer's ethical violation from Washington State's canon of ethics for lawyers. This hypothetical is about prosecutors, but the canon cited covers all lawyers in your state.

It is well established that neither the prosecutor nor the defense may obstruct an attempt by opposing counsel or their agent to communicate with a prospective witness. RPC 3.4(a) provides that a lawyer shall not:

"Unlawfully obstruct another party’s access to evidence or unlawfully alter, destroy or conceal a document or other material having potential evidentiary value."

http://www.freecle.com/materials/midgley.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">