• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney charged fee for services he never provided; refused to sign contract;...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

405n

What is the name of your state (IL)?

Attorney charged fee for services he never provided; refused to sign contract; kept my documents to retroactively show the work.

I met with an attorney to seek his help in civil matter. I paid him a fee to look over my documents in order to provide detailed feedback AND to have me referred to his colleague in another state (where the case would've taken place) regardless of whether or not he himself would pick up the case. He refused to sign a contract, so I have only a receipt from him. I trusted him. Unfortunately, with time I learned for a fact that the attorney sat on my documents for many months without reading them at all, stalled the time, pretended to do work, caused statutes to expire, never completed the promised referral AND refused to return my documents which I never paid him to keep. I'd like to know how I can retrieve my funds back which I originally paid with CC less than 6 months ago, perhaps via charge back?

Apparently, the CC bank says that my case is weak because there is no written contract available to show what was agreed to be rendered... even though I already provided the bank with a VERY detailed letter where I outlined any and all relevant chronological events in great detail. The bank says the burden of proof lies solely on me and the attorney evidently made a good effort on his part to "disarm" his client's defenses by deliberately stripping him of any contract while reinforcing his own stance by retaining his client's documents. I'm thinking about heading down to the attorney's office and kindly asking him to return my documents, although I realize that it will not be an easy task to try to talk some reason into him so that he would (miraculously) be willing to part with them and ultimately forfeit his carte blanche. How else could I strengthen my case via CC dispute?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (IL)?

Attorney charged fee for services he never provided; refused to sign contract; kept my documents to retroactively show the work.

I met with an attorney to seek his help in civil matter. I paid him a fee to look over my documents in order to provide detailed feedback AND to have me referred to his colleague in another state (where the case would've taken place) regardless of whether or not he himself would pick up the case. He refused to sign a contract, so I have only a receipt from him. I trusted him. Unfortunately, with time I learned for a fact that the attorney sat on my documents for many months without reading them at all, stalled the time, pretended to do work, caused statutes to expire, never completed the promised referral AND refused to return my documents which I never paid him to keep. I'd like to know how I can retrieve my funds back which I originally paid with CC less than 6 months ago, perhaps via charge back?

Apparently, the CC bank says that my case is weak because there is no written contract available to show what was agreed to be rendered... even though I already provided the bank with a VERY detailed letter where I outlined any and all relevant chronological events in great detail. The bank says the burden of proof lies solely on me and the attorney evidently made a good effort on his part to "disarm" his client's defenses by deliberately stripping him of any contract while reinforcing his own stance by retaining his client's documents. I'm thinking about heading down to the attorney's office and kindly asking him to return my documents, although I realize that it will not be an easy task to try to talk some reason into him so that he would (miraculously) be willing to part with them and ultimately forfeit his carte blanche. How else could I strengthen my case via CC dispute?
I suggest that you file a complaint with the Bar Association.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">