• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney did not deliver full paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anifao

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
What are my legal options if I don't agree with final judgment from a municipal court over deferred adjudication for tickets?
In 2012, I got a citation for failure to signal and turning from the wrong lane-my very first ticket. I contacted an attorney and he told me he had sent the court paperwork to the court to wait for a court date, but for somehow the court did not receive the proper paperwork in time and the violations of failure to appear and jumping bail were added. We went to court got differed adjudication and I paid the amounts on the paperwork but apparently I wasn't given the paperwork for the additional citations. So I was declared in default. After reaching out to the court a date was set for a show cause hearing which I appeared for but my attorney didn't. They reset the date but neither of us got notification and missed it. Now they entered final judgment and said I have to pay $923. I'm unemployed and can’t afford it

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
What are my legal options if I don't agree with final judgment from a municipal court over deferred adjudication for tickets?
In 2012, I got a citation for failure to signal and turning from the wrong lane-my very first ticket. I contacted an attorney and he told me he had sent the court paperwork to the court to wait for a court date, but for somehow the court did not receive the proper paperwork in time and the violations of failure to appear and jumping bail were added. We went to court got differed adjudication and I paid the amounts on the paperwork but apparently I wasn't given the paperwork for the additional citations. So I was declared in default. After reaching out to the court a date was set for a show cause hearing which I appeared for but my attorney didn't. They reset the date but neither of us got notification and missed it. Now they entered final judgment and said I have to pay $923. I'm unemployed and can’t afford it
It is curious that so many court dates were missed. It is difficult to tell from what you have written whether there were mistakes made by your attorney or by you or by the court.

It will take a personal review to determine if there is any legal action you can take against anyone. If you cannot afford to pay for an hour or two of an attorney's time for this review, you might want to check out a legal aid clinics or perhaps a law school in your area. You might be able to find free help there.

If you are indigent, the $923 that you currently owe could potentially be made in payments to fit your budget. I suggest you check with the court clerk.

Good luck.

TigerD

It might be worth having a sit down with your attorney about the problems he had with simple things like filing properly and showing up to court. You may wish to have the situation reviewed by another attorney or the Texas Bar.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">