• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Fee's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barry_LA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Through our family attorney's guidance, we hired a corp lawyer to handle a business shareholders agreement.

We met this new attorney with ours, and through our attorney we hired this new guy to handle the shareholders negotiation. He then sent a cover letter requesting documents, along with a standard engagement and retainer agreement. She sent him a $2,500 retainer. We then sent the documents he requested.

Less than a week after sending in the check, and documents, we received his first bill. He charges 400 per hour.

1.3 hours for the retainer agreement and cover letter
.2 for leaving him a voicemail message.
.2 for him leaving us a voicemail message.
.2 for talking to her about the subject matter of the voicemail messages.
1.1 for reviewing her corp documents.

It would seem to me that the retainer agreement and cover letter would be his cost of doing business, we were not clients yet. Is this normal? Charging $80 each for two voicemail messages seems unbelievably petty. The rest is fine. I guess my issue is if he is going to nickel and dime us at the beginning of the relationship, what is the meat and potatoes going to look like?

Thoughts? Is this normal? Charging for voicemail messages?

Thanks!

B

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Through our family attorney's guidance, we hired a corp lawyer to handle a business shareholders agreement.

We met this new attorney with ours, and through our attorney we hired this new guy to handle the shareholders negotiation. He then sent a cover letter requesting documents, along with a standard engagement and retainer agreement. She sent him a $2,500 retainer. We then sent the documents he requested.

Less than a week after sending in the check, and documents, we received his first bill. He charges 400 per hour.

1.3 hours for the retainer agreement and cover letter
.2 for leaving him a voicemail message.
.2 for him leaving us a voicemail message.
.2 for talking to her about the subject matter of the voicemail messages.
1.1 for reviewing her corp documents.

It would seem to me that the retainer agreement and cover letter would be his cost of doing business, we were not clients yet. Is this normal? Charging $80 each for two voicemail messages seems unbelievably petty. The rest is fine. I guess my issue is if he is going to nickel and dime us at the beginning of the relationship, what is the meat and potatoes going to look like?

Thoughts? Is this normal? Charging for voicemail messages?

Thanks!

B
Is the retainer agreement a standard agreement or did he have to make a new contract specifically for this? That is the only charge I question. You are paying your attorney for his time. Hence, voicemail messages are a charge. Why shouldn't you pay for all the time he takes dealing with your issues?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">