• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Is there a limit to how much lawyers can charge for consultations ? Just asking them questions, getting opinions...etc

Is there a standard of fees they have to follow or is it what they just feel like charging and do so according to a case by case basis or their location .. etc

Last edited:

Silverplum

Is there a limit to how much lawyers can charge for consultations ? Just asking them questions, getting opinions...etc

Is there a standard of fees they have to follow or is it what they just feel like charging and due so according to a case by case basis or their location .. etc
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tx+attorney+consultation+fees

quincy

Is there a standard of fees they have to follow or is it what they just feel like charging and due so according to a case by case basis or their location .. etc
Is there a limit? Sort of. Lawyers are limited by what clients are willing to pay.

There are fee averages and, if an attorney strays too far above the average, a client can dispute the amount and potentially be successful.

Attorney fees vary by attorney specialty and by location and by experience. You are going to pay more for a Johnny Cochran than you are for a Johnny Doe.

Last edited:
Follow up question

In case this pertains to a similar question and someone decides to move it here, I have another question pertaining to lawyers.

I was involved in this particular situation as a son helping out mom, so I know the situation.

Mom's lawyer had some paperwork drawn up and either he or his assistant put the wrong last name on the paperwork of an individual.

We called up the lawyer to ask him what should be done.

The lawyer charged mom for the phone call and for the subsequent paperwork that was drawn up using the correct name of the individual.

Is that legally wrong of him to charge mom for this or is it just a case of "seems wrong" to us non-members of the bar ?

quincy

In case this pertains to a similar question and someone decides to move it here, I have another question pertaining to lawyers.

I was involved in this particular situation as a son helping out mom, so I know the situation.

Mom's lawyer had some paperwork drawn up and either he or his assistant put the wrong last name on the paperwork of an individual.

We called up the lawyer to ask him what should be done.

The lawyer charged mom for the phone call and for the subsequent paperwork that was drawn up using the correct name of the individual.

Is that legally wrong of him to charge mom for this or is it just a case of "seems wrong" to us non-members of the bar ?
It is not "legally" wrong to charge for a phone call and corrections. It could be seen as "unethical."

You know, Stressed About, you could probably learn more if you did less posting and more reading. The questions you are asking have been asked and answered before.

You know, Stressed About, you could probably learn more if you did less posting and more reading. The questions you are asking have been asked and answered before.
I know you are trying to be helpful, but I am a bad researcher and it's easier for me to just ask the question. If it bothers people to reply due to my inexperience, then I guess I should just move on to another website and their forums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">