• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney gives out Privelliged info to opposing team, causes big problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crussgo

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My question is of ethical privacy of an attorney and his client. What ever happened to client/attorney confidentiality. My son hired this attorney to do a simple motion for visitations for his daughter. The initial retainer was borrowed from his brother, who gave to me to pay to the attorney. (My son wanted legal rights to his daughter, but had recently lost his job (Long detailed story) Anyway, this information was not to be construed as if I was paying for the attorney, as the childs mother and her family hate my son, because he wouldn't marry this girl. They believe that he didn't do this for himself. Bull! He is by their standards of course, a bad guy, scum bag, etc. labeled by the childs mother & her family. This information was spit out by our attorney to the defendent and the opposing attorney right after my son left the court house. Information which this attorney just decided to speak out of as if they all were old buddies. *For what reason, I don't know, but of course our attorney denies ever speaking a word to either the attorney or my grandaugher's mother about this. This all sounds like a soap opera, but it has really caused our family and my son alot of grief, harrassment, bad phone calls, name calling, even total embarrassement at my granddaughters dance recital, when I was approached by their family members, attacked verbally, in the midst of a crowd 5 minutes prior to my granddaughters show. I feel as if our attorney wasn't even working for my son, but for them. Or just really wanted to be liked by them. Now, she still wants to be paid over $3,000, plus the $2,000 retainer she was already paid. Because of her lack of lip service, which had nothing to do with anything, we now have an even bigger war going than before. She didn't help matters, she just made them 10 times worse! My son just wanted to be able to get legal child visitations, without hassels. What can we do about this attorney, who we feel has violated our rights, and caused alot more anguish than there needed to be. I really don't feel she did her job, so why should she be paid. What are our rights?

stephenk

i couldn't tell from your ranting, but what was the priviliged information your son's attorney told the other attorney?

Dandy Don

For starters you could file a complaint with the New York State Bar Association, but if you could get documented evidence of the contact/phone calls, you might stand to gain financially from a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">