• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney having affair with husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

used2004

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband was treating me differently, we were having problems and this led up to me filing for divorce. The divorce has been pending for a while now. I have since found out that he has been having an affair. This was the reason for the changes in him and the way he was treating me. An affair that began before I filed for divorce I now know.

My questions is my recourse. The person that broke up my marriage is an attorney that works in his office. He is not an attorney but works for the government. She should know re: ethics that she should not be dating a married man. Even once I filed, doesn't she have an ethical obligation to wait until the divorce is final?

I'm curious also to know if I have recourse with his employer. They know that they are openly dating. My husband has led the office to believe the divorce has been final for some time. All the while he has been talking to me about possibly working things out. I now find out she was guiding him on not making waves so the settlement would be worked out amicably. "Keeping me happy" so to speak. Do I have recourse towards this attorney or his employer?

I'm already working on the settlement agreement against him. But she and he both crossed the line with their friendship at work and that was the demise of my marriage. What obligation does the employer have in this because she breached her ethics as an attorney?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

used2004 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband was treating me differently, we were having problems and this led up to me filing for divorce. The divorce has been pending for a while now. I have since found out that he has been having an affair. This was the reason for the changes in him and the way he was treating me. An affair that began before I filed for divorce I now know.

My questions is my recourse. The person that broke up my marriage is an attorney that works in his office. He is not an attorney but works for the government. She should know re: ethics that she should not be dating a married man. Even once I filed, doesn't she have an ethical obligation to wait until the divorce is final?

I'm curious also to know if I have recourse with his employer. They know that they are openly dating. My husband has led the office to believe the divorce has been final for some time. All the while he has been talking to me about possibly working things out. I now find out she was guiding him on not making waves so the settlement would be worked out amicably. "Keeping me happy" so to speak. Do I have recourse towards this attorney or his employer?

I'm already working on the settlement agreement against him. But she and he both crossed the line with their friendship at work and that was the demise of my marriage. What obligation does the employer have in this because she breached her ethics as an attorney?

My response:

She hasn't breached any "ethics code" and you have no recourse.

IAAL

Karankawan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

She hasn't breached any "ethics code" and you have no recourse.

IAAL

I don't know where you are getting your information and I realize you have 35,000+ more post than me however; the violation committed by both parties in this case violate the code of ethics of all governmental employees.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blethics.htm

1. Put loyalty to the highest moral principals and to country above loyalty to Government persons, party, or department.

The event of a sexual affair between two parties destroyed the life and marriage of this one family and possibly another. That is immoral and not apeased to the highest of standards as stated in the governmental code of ethics for all employees.

If this was occuring during work then the 3rd code of ethics would have been violated as well.

3. Give a full day's labor for a full day's pay; giving to the performance of his duties his earnest effort and best thought.

Now, as far as legal recourse then you should speak to his supervisor as well as her supervisor and inform them of their unethical behavior which destroyed your marriage most companies in the United States will fire both employees for these actions.

Good luck in gaining your satisfaction... :eek:

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Karankawan said:
I don't know where you are getting your information and I realize you have 35,000+ more post than me however; the violation committed by both parties in this case violate the code of ethics of all governmental employees.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blethics.htm

1. Put loyalty to the highest moral principals and to country above loyalty to Government persons, party, or department.

The event of a sexual affair between two parties destroyed the life and marriage of this one family and possibly another. That is immoral and not apeased to the highest of standards as stated in the governmental code of ethics for all employees.

If this was occuring during work then the 3rd code of ethics would have been violated as well.

3. Give a full day's labor for a full day's pay; giving to the performance of his duties his earnest effort and best thought.

Now, as far as legal recourse then you should speak to his supervisor as well as her supervisor and inform them of their unethical behavior which destroyed your marriage most companies in the United States will fire both employees for these actions.

Good luck in gaining your satisfaction... :eek:

My response:

What does "Put loyalty to the highest moral principals and to country above loyalty to Government persons, party, or department" mean?

Talk about vague, ambiguous and unintelligible! It sounds more like a Boy Scout creed, than an Ethics code. Yes, yes, yes, I went to the site and read it there, but it's still a vague, ambiguous and unintelligible statement.

There has been no violation, and I rather doubt this "creed" carries over into private, off duty, hours and affairs. It may, however, have something to do with "conduct" during working hours.

IAAL

Karankawan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

What does "Put loyalty to the highest moral principals and to country above loyalty to Government persons, party, or department" mean?

Talk about vague, ambiguous and unintelligible! It sounds more like a Boy Scout creed, than an Ethics code. Yes, yes, yes, I went to the site and read it there, but it's still a vague, ambiguous and unintelligible statement.

There has been no violation, and I rather doubt this "creed" carries over into private, off duty, hours and affairs. It may, however, have something to do with "conduct" during working hours.

IAAL
I totally agree...it is very vague and very broad but, most governmental documents are meant that way so the interpretation is broad as well...

There is possibly no violation however, the moral standards included here may allow used2004 some satisfaction by exposing this with their supervisors if no legality is available...:)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Karankawan said:
I totally agree...it is very vague and very broad but, most governmental documents are meant that way so the interpretation is broad as well...

There is possibly no violation however, the moral standards included here may allow used2004 some satisfaction by exposing this with their supervisors if no legality is available...:)

My response:

So, since you admit there is no "legal punch" to this credo, you're espousing retribution and retaliation?

Oh, please. This is a legal site. It's not a "How Do I Stab People In The Back" site. Besides, she might be cutting her nose off to spite her face if she's going to need Spousal Support.

IAAL

Karankawan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

So, since you admit there is no "legal punch" to this credo, you're espousing retribution and retaliation?

Oh, please. This is a legal site. It's not a "How Do I Stab People In The Back" site. Besides, she might be cutting her nose off to spite her face if she's going to need Spousal Support.

IAAL
I am saying the only retribution in this instance is prehaps to following the recourse of letting the government handle their own ethics violation...If we are worried about her cutting her nose off inspite of her face, the spousal/child support will take care of itself.

If it is found in the course of exposing to have happened during working hrs then the organization could be held liable. Do we have all the details? Do we have all the evidence? If this is a legal forum then give legal advice supported and documented by creditable information/laws and not simply speculation...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Karankawan said:
I am saying the only retribution in this instance is prehaps to following the recourse of letting the government handle their own ethics violation...If we are worried about her cutting her nose off inspite of her face, the spousal/child support will take care of itself.

MY RESPONSE: Are you reading what you're writing? Do you understand what you're writing? You JUST got finished telling me that you agree that that particular "creed" or "credo" is vague, ambiguous and unintelligible. You can't discipline someone with a law, or a creed, or a policy, that makes no sense! If the law worked that way, especially the Penal laws of this country, you'd have rampant anarchy.

If it is found in the course of exposing to have happened during working hrs then the organization could be held liable.

MY RESPONSE: We're NOT talking about "during working hours." I'm talking about your "creed" #1. You can't punish, or take administrative action, based upon something that makes no sense. This is a simple concept.

Do we have all the details? Do we have all the evidence? If this is a legal forum then give legal advice supported and documented by creditable information/laws and not simply speculation...

MY RESPONSE: I have no idea if we have all the details or all the evidence. I am merely responding to the words in our writer's initial post. And, insofar as your last sentence is concerned, I can only state that since there has been no crime committed, or civil wrong committed; e.g., no law exists that would allow "recourse", then what else would you like me to say to our writer?
I can only state whether or not a law exists or not in any particular situation, and in this case, there is none.

You're trying to give our writer hope where none exists. Extramarital affairs happen. It's a fact of life. But, there is nothing she can do about it - - except, perhaps, follow what you appear to be espousing - - a little "eye for an eye".

Get real.

IAAL

used2004

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I definitely do not plan to cut off my nose to spite my face.... I thought this might pose an ethical predicament with the Bar Association for the attorney involved in the affair. I don't know the law on ethics with attorneys, but if two people divorcing are supposed to carry good demeanor throughout their divorce isn't an attorney supposed to carry good demeanor throughout their ethical career? I don't consider having an affair with my husband at his office ethical. :rolleyes:

Veronica1228

used2004 said:
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I definitely do not plan to cut off my nose to spite my face.... I thought this might pose an ethical predicament with the Bar Association for the attorney involved in the affair. I don't know the law on ethics with attorneys, but if two people divorcing are supposed to carry good demeanor throughout their divorce isn't an attorney supposed to carry good demeanor throughout their ethical career? I don't consider having an affair with my husband at his office ethical. :rolleyes:
You are confusing morals with ethics.

used2004

So attorneys don't have to have morals? Any suggestions?
Morals/ethics isn't it the same. She knew he was married.

Veronica1228

used2004 said:
So attorneys don't have to have morals? Any suggestions?
Morals/ethics isn't it the same. She knew he was married.
Well, I guess you could make the argument that they are similar, but it isn't illegal or necessarily against employment rules to not have any morals.

Therefore, no. Attorneys don't have to have morals. Neither do doctors, accountants, bus drivers or bankers. Even presidents of our country have had affairs and got to keep their jobs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">