• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Attorney legally responsible for collecting fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuboogie

What is the name of your state?TN

My wife and I completed an uncontested divorce last August. As part of the divorce, I was ordered to pay her attorney $825.00 which was half of her attorney fees. I cannot afford that debt as well as others I have and I am currently working on filing bankruptcy. I found out last week that my ex-wife had already paid the lawyer the full amount and was going to get the money back when I paid the lawyer. Since I am filing bankruptcy, she isn't going to be reimbursed for the half of the fees I owed.

Is this legal? Since the lawyer has also acquired a judgement against me for the fees I owe plus $300 more, shouldn't the collection of the debt be between myself and the lawyer? How can he hold my ex-wife's money when, technically, it isn't his money anymore. It seems like she is being made to pay my debt since I will not be able to, which sounds unethical to me as she has no legal responsibility to cover my debt. Is there a legal way for her to pressure the attorney for a refund of the half I owe?

Please reply, as I am getting a lot of crap from my ex over this.

Thank you,
James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">