• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney licensed in other state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collectorado

Colorado. My wife and I have seperated, (not legally). She is proceeding with divorce. Can she use her sister who just passed the bar in Oklahoma and is licensed in OK, as her attorney for divorce in Colorado?

pojo2

Is the sister also licensed in Co.? Is the sister merely drawing up the paperwork but would not represent your wife in court?

HomeGuru

collectorado said:
Colorado. My wife and I have seperated, (not legally). She is proceeding with divorce. Can she use her sister who just passed the bar in Oklahoma and is licensed in OK, as her attorney for divorce in Colorado?

**A: no..........her attorney must be licensed to practice law in the state of CO.

HomeGuru

collectorado said:
She is not licensed in CO. Can she draw up the paperwork?

**A: yes she can but you must give it to a CO licensed attorney for review.
Let me ask you this? If she is an attorney, why doesn't she already know these things? It is taught to first year law students.
Ask her to explain to you UPL and the latest cite from the Amercan Bar Association.

We are trying to avoid court. Should I hire an attorney?
**A: you can answer that question on your own.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">