• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney made mistake with cs calculations for many yrs-can I collect amt due?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonynjanet03

I live in FLORIDA, and in my 2003 divorce, the attorney that I had advised me that I could not ask for child support for my child who received SSI disability. A few yrs later, I discovered this was not true. I brought this error up in a hearing to lower support and the Hearing Officer agreed. I assumed because one of my children had just turned 18, my daughter on disability simply replaced the 18 yr old b/c the cs amount stayed the SAME. Five yrs later, I discovered that I never received retro or current support for the child at all! She is now an adult and I was wondering if the attorney's insurance would reimburse me for this legal error by my attorney? I was told by someone in the legal field that attorney's have insurance for errors- like a physician would have for malpractice. The attorney is retired now and I am waiting to hear back from the firm as they are reviewing my files (it has been several wks now). The final judgment states this: "wife currently receives SSI income through the SSA on behalf of (child's name) in the amt of xxx. Accordingly, for the purposes of computation of CS obligations, (child's name) shall NOT be considered and CS will be computed for benefit of the parties other remaining children."

If anyone has gone through something similar, I would appreciate your input. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">